Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I want to build my first DIY Sub. I got an amp with the following specs and I want to build a sub in regard to it.

700 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (1,400 x 1 bridged)
1,200 watts x 2 into 4 ohms (2,400 x 1 bridged)
1,700 watts x 2 into 2 ohms (3,400! x 1 bridged)

I plan to use this sub 80% music and 20% ht. My room is about 16x12. I am not sure which type of box I want yet. I would say the most important thing to be is to have accurate tight low bass. I also want the box to be as small as possible.

So what brand and size of sub do you guys recommend. Also please let me know what type of box will work best with this sub.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Well we could recommend just about anything from a sealed 8" sub good for music on a computer system to a couple of giant 18" LLT's or an infinite baffle and they'd all work with your amp. Do you have any size or budget constraints? I take it that 80% music means you're probably less interested in output and extension than you are low distortion?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The amp is an old stock Tsunami HQ 3.4 pro amp. As for budget I guess I want to stay under $350 for the sub itself. My source is a Sony SACD player and PS3 for Dvd and Blu-Ray. The receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5560. Anyway my main goal is to have a accurate sub and SPL is not a factor. As for size I don't want a box much larger then 2'x2'x2'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about TC sound subs? Where can I buy them? How big would an average enclosure be for a 18", 15" or 12". I know it depend on the driver, but I just want so ball park figure so then I can pick out the size I want.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Any other brands that offer good bang for the buck? I plan to use this sub 80% music and 20% ht. As for size I don't want a box much larger then 2'x2'x2'.
Internal net volume after deductions for the sub, port and bracing would be around 5.5 cu.ft. Here's a model of the IXL-18 in that volume. It's the best "bang for the buck" at $265 shipped to your door. (assuming you live in North America)

It will take 800 watts input power, cone excursion isn't reached until 14hz, and will easily produce +115 db at 20 hz and lower, with room gain. Porting would need to be 6 inches diameter by 38 inches long to keep port air speed acceptable.

IXL-18.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts