Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm just planning out a subwoofer build to augment my main speakers that I finished a few months ago and hoping that someone can give some insight as to making the main speakers and the sub work well together.

An outline of the current setup is:

1. The main speakers 2 Tony Gee Bass Reflex LBS MTM floorstander speakers (http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_LBS_copy.pdf). According to Tony's design, they have an bass extension to around 45Hz.

Primarily they are used for music at the moment, but I see no reason why they wouldnt do a fine job with home theatre at a later date.

2. I use a HifimeDIY TK2050 2x100W D-class amplifier to power the LBS speakers, connected to a Fiio D3 DAC, which is connected in turn to a HTPC via a Toslink cable.

3. The room is large size, around 5x12 metres (estimated - if important I can measure exactly), rectangular and not open plan.

I'm strongly considering building one of those Quartet 10 Creative Sound Solution Passive Radiator subwoofers with the 10 inch SDX10 driver and 2 PRs, powered by a Bash 300W.

I would have quite liked to build a sub that was completely original, but at this size subwoofer (probably about the maximum that the wife will tolerate), there seem to be relatively few optimal designs - i.e. I'm not prepared to sacrifice performance just to be original!

My questions are:

a. Will that sub likely "play well" with those floorstanders? i.e. not overwhelming them, nor being swamped at louder volumes. I don't have a SPL meter to measure the output from the LBS speakers, but subjectively, I rarely want to wind them up to full power, as it becomes painful to the ears.

b. I understand that with a room that size, room gain may be very significant - especially since the sub will likely be placed in the corner on the same plane as the floorstanders. Is this gain likely to help or hinder the performance.

c. As far as connection to the DAC - do I simply split each left and right line out from the DAC and send one to the TK2050 and another to the Bash 300?

Thanks everyone for your insight!

b

·
Registered
174 Posts
How about a pair of Epik Empires? As far as blending in with mains, I really like sealed subs. Now I have an Epik Legend. I didn't realize what blending in meant with my old ported SVS PB10-NSD. My friend came over and thought the bass was coming from the center channel! Corner placement will boost certain frequencies but you may sacrifice accuracy and sound quality.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's a pretty good size room to fill. I think I'd lean towards the Trio12 and when you move towards home theater adding a second may add enough to start to feel the LFE. Check out the Trio12 builds in the database or just get one of the kits. If you get the BASH 500 it has both speaker level and RCA inputs, as well as RCA outputs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmmmm... the 12 inch one you think?

I've looked at the design and its not significantly phyiscally larger than the 10 inch one, being 2 inches larger in the x, y and z direction. I guess it will come down to price more than anything in my case.

Do you really think that it would take two of the 12 inch quartets to fill the room? That's a lot of subwoofer!

Does the Bash 300 amp take a full range line in signal and then filters out the frequencies higher than the subwoofer component in the active crossover? I assume it does, but just want to be sure I dont need to do something else (I'm new to subwoofers!)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The WAF hasnt been consulted yet... but she won't divorce me at 45 cm rather than 30.:innocent:

At the moment I dont use a receiver, just a 2 channel amp fed off a 2 channel DAC - so there is no receiver in the equation. I'm hoping that the Bash 300 can filter out the frequencies higher than 80Hz from the 2 line ins on the back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts