Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you guys...

I have an onkyo receiver with only one sub-out port. I run a rca cable out of that into a Y splitter. one of the cables from the splitter runs into my elemental designs a5-350 with 550w plate amp. the other cable runs into a behringer amp which powers 2 sono tubes.

the a5-350 bangs. the sonos bang. the problem is if i run them at the same time, the volume of both drops drastically. i.e. i'll be listening to a song with the sono's jamming along. mid song, i power on the a5-350, and it comes on but isn't very loud and the sonos volume goes way down too.

is it just a cheap splitter? could buying a decent $15-$20 Y splitter help? should i bump up the sub level on my onkyo? what about not using a splitter, running the cable from the onkyo into the a5-350 amp, and then a cable out of the a5-350 amp into my behringer/sonos? thanks for any input. :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
A level drop is normal when using a splitter but it shouldn't be that drastic. Most of us who have two subs simply raise the output level in our receivers to compensate for the level drop. Try another better quality splitter first that may help but it does sound strange that your getting a dramatic drop in the level.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks tony. i knew i should have picked up one of those monster splitters for 5 bucks when circuit city was closing :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
thanks tony. i knew i should have picked up one of those monster splitters for 5 bucks when circuit city was closing :)
IIRC the y splitter shouldnt drop voltage. I measured one with a multimeter awhile back and I think the voltage was the same, but the impedence changes?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
IIRC the y splitter shouldnt drop voltage. I measured one with a multimeter awhile back and I think the voltage was the same, but the impedence changes?
Yes, That is correct

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Good point Mike:T I did not think of that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, it does have a phase knob. i've always kept it at 0, but someone else also recommended i play with that. i'll give it a shot! thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
obviously i don't know much about this stuff...

but after thinking about it more, i can see where maybe if the phase was set wrong on the a5-350's plate amp, it might make the a5-350 sound bad. but the sonos will be thumping, and as soon as i turn on the 350 plate amp, the sonos go down to about 1/2 the volume. so, the phase on the plate amp can cause this to happen? :dunno:

·
Registered
150 Posts
If phase is not the problem then possibly just drop the splitter and use the out from the behringer amp to feed the a5-350

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Dradius do you have REW running? It is easy to see how adjusting the phase knob or turning the A5350 on or off has an effect if you do. I think it is a phase issue myself with some of the output getting canceled when all of the subs run together.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, i haven't used REW yet.
i played with the phase on the a5-350. it definitely made the 350 sound better, but it didn't do anything for the sonos. i dropped the splitter, ran a line into the 350 and then a line out of the 350 into a splitter and into the behringer/sonos. it is definitely an imporvement. i will play around with it more this weekend.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wasy way to tell if its phase or a input problem. play a test tone and turn the sub up so its moving a good amount. place your hand on the cone so you can feel its movement. Have someone else turn on the other sub. if the cone on the first sub is still going the same distance then its still outputing the same amount, its a phase issue. If it's movement is less with the other sub on its a signal issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts