Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered an abrupt tapping sound in one of my drivers at about 30mm one way excursion that is not normal as all of the other drivers have been driven way further without ever exhibiting this noise. I decided to take the driver apart to see if I could find the problem. It is not easy to get these apart. There are 16 screws that are in a very hard to reach spot under the frame and they've been painted over. Re-assembly is even worse It took me nearly 3 hours to get all 16 screws back in and the vc's satisfactorily aligned. I had 2 screws that I just could not get to thread. There was some excess glue that was contacting the pole piece at large excursions. (This same thing was discovered on my first XXX by Nathan Funk). That's 2 for 5 on that:foottap:. I may contact RE Audio about that. Interestingly at the bottom of the motor is what appears to be a peanut butter colored ring of silicone or rubber. I guess this is for over excursion protection?:rofl2:.

That beer and a couple of his brothers, is the only thing that kept me from smashing something after fighting with trying to get 2 screws to thread, in a very awkward spot, inside a giant magnet field for 3hrs!:wits-end:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Subwoofer anatomy RE Audio XXX 18

Don't know yet. I haven't had a chance to free-air it. I'll be doing that this afternoon or this weekend a long with another one that hasn't been checked yet.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

Appreciate the pics and all, but do you really think it was wise to go to all that trouble for a noise created after exceeding 30mm excursion when you have multiple drivers? Sounds like you may have risked creating other issues, especially with two screws not in place.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sure I do. I learned a bit about the driver and the cause of the noise. There aren't 2 screws missing. All are in place. I do plan on driving the (inverse of heaven) out of these drivers even with multiples so yes it has to be fixed. If I can't get the coils realigned in the gap correctly, as has been suggested, I'll get it reconed. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Nice pics man. Scott has built some real nice stuff in the past, and continues to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts