Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I hear a popping noise coming from the subwoofer when in auto mode. It's usally when watching TV and not DVDs. It doesn't seem to make this sound when I have the sub always ON. '

Is it ok to keep the sub in the ON positioin instead of AUTO?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well the popping noise could be happening when the auto function initiates. I had a sub that would do the same thing. If the sub doesn't recieve a signal for a few momments like in a very quiet part of a movie it would shut down and pop when it did. You can leave it on and it shouldn't be a problem except for the obvious extra use of power and in the life of the amp but you can do it. If it still pops then you have another issue.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Some TV channels seem to have low frequency transients. I get complaints about CBS frequently here. Are you sure it is not there when the unit is not in the Auto mode?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Always on will not harm the amp or the sub and uses very little power when not in use.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I had an 8" sub that, whe left in on, would draw about 10-12 watts, which where I live is about $15-20 dollars a year. If you want to save that money on electricity, leave it in "on", but put it on a switched outlet or power strip. Only turn it on when you're using it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the information. I'm starting to think that the pop is the sub actually turning off. It's a different sound than when it turns on but it would make sense that it would be. When it turns on you hear the relay click followed by a surge of bass. I'm going to monitor the on/off switching when in auto mode everytime I hear the "pop".

Thanks

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
When it turns on you hear the relay click followed by a surge of bass. I'm going to monitor the on/off switching when in auto mode everytime I hear the "pop".
Is that pop coming from the amp or the driver???

Mine (Velodyne VRP 1000) makes a noise when turn in on/off, but is the amp switch...:yes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine always shut itself off during periods of no bass. I leave it on all the time now. I have a seven year warranty on the amp though. I don't think it wears on the components to leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dont trust mine to not burn down the house so I unplug after use, its a 6 month-old dayton plate amp and it is still warm on auto on and the sub or amp, not sure which is the culprit, emits a barely audible drone.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I had an athena which would also drone/buzz even when in standby. I couldn't stand it, had to switch it off when not in use. Tried everything, switching outlet, lifting ground, nothing worked.

Luckily, the Aperions I'm using now are dead silent (unless they're playing the .1, of course).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts