Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is an interesting topic to help understand why or why not proceed with a DIY. Here are few points I would like the DIYers who have completed subwoofer projects post their opinions / experiences:

- I think here is the most important one: How precise did you find Winisd or unibox to be after listening/testing your sub(s), FR, SPL... What to expect when using Winisd compared to real world results? Were you close?

- Those how have had / still have a known brand like Velo, SVS, HSU... How do your DIY subs compare to them (SQ, SPL....), better compare similar inchers if talking about max SPL.

- In general were you happy with your trophee? Impressions? Better worse than expected?

- What do you advise new DIYers to do/avoid when designing/executing their project?

All of the DIY performers are highly required to participate in this thread Pls!!:paddle:

Blaser

·
Registered
521 Posts
I found the simulations to be fairly spot on, but of course without taking my sub outside and doing a good GP FR measurement, I'll never know.

Very pleased with my sub. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it certainly doesn't disappoint.

I'd advise new DIYers to do as much reading as they can, and if possible acquire some good tools. It makes the whole DIY experience much better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Either I have been quite lucky or traditional subwoofer designs are fairly forgiving for the neophyte DIYer. I have built 4 different designs with varied but positive results each time.

The best one I have at present is my main system 3 box sub with 2 - 10" Titanics and a Rythmic Audio DS15. Goes fairly flat to below 18hz. The design of this system was constrained by aesthetics, but still does everything I want in a ~3,400 cu. ft. room.

Having said that, I like my 12" ported Dayton DVC sub for the family room as well. It may only go down to the upper 20's but it does so with authority, and sounds good in the system.

A few years back I built a Decware "Wicked One" with 2 Sony 10" car subs. It's a horn loaded band pass enclosure. This was the first sub that my wife asked in seriousness if it would do anything structural to our home (CBS block construction). I have pulled the drivers and amp off of it, and still have the box on the back porch, but it is too big to fit into our house anywhere.

In my opinion there are a few attributes that make you a good DIY sub building candidate;

1) You're interested in good bass.

2) You generally don't injure yourself seriously while working with tools:raped:

3) You have an understanding spouse, no spouse, or you want to get rid of your spouse:devil:

4) You want to stretch your audio dollar with sweat equity. (I was dirt poor when I built my first pair of speakers back in the '70s)

5) Your ego says that you can do better than those greedy bozos that make mass production speakers, and you can't/won't pay for the esoteric, "if you've gotta ask, you can't afford it..." speakers.

6) You enjoy making stuff that does more than just sit there.

At any rate, I have had good fun building speakers, and my subs have been the most rewarding part. I haven't spent a lot of time in hi-end audio stores, but my subs are as good as any I've heard. So if you have 2 or more of the attributes I listed above, I would say go for it.

Paul

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I've built many subwoofers and all have exceeded my expectations. If you are a tad handy and have the motivation then DIY is the way to go in my opinion. I've built Several Adire based subs with the Tempest, An Acoustic Elegance AV 15 PR'd sub, and currently have a 4 driver RL-P 15 infinite baffle subwoofer that is the ultimate in house shaking, clean bass.

The box subs were great but took up a lot of room in our dual purpose theater. The IB was an easy sell to my wife because it meant getting rid of the ugly box. She loves the IB and it is the largest sub I have had to date.

Personally I see no reason to ever buy a commercial sub as long as you have a hint of woodworking skill. It really isn't hard, especially if you build proven designs. I've always built subs that others have built with good results. The IB was my first sub where I did the calculations but they are pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Darren..... More!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts