Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which drivers would you like to see being tested AND could chip in to make it happen?

• Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Sound Splinter RL-p15/18

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Fi Q15/18

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Mach5Audio IXL-18.4

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Dayton RSS390HF/HO

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Something else? (post it)

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
"With the research that has been done by Harman and others showing how multiple LF sources having a very positive impact in smoothing rooms modal responses, the question isn't who can build the best $1k woofer, unless you have a lot of money to build 4 of them."

I agree, but note that two subs gave results nearly as good as four and is much more practical for most people.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Chris said:
I know that drivers like this and the LMS TC sounds stuff capture the imagination of DIYers but I think that people are missing the point a bit. With the research that has been done by Harman and others showing how multiple LF sources having a very positive impact in smoothing rooms modal responses, the question isn't who can build the best $1k woofer, unless you have a lot of money to build 4 of them. Instead, four $250 woofers would be a better bet for that $1k budget. As engineering is really the art of doing the most with the least (and furthermore fits within the demands of the application from all other factors therein) these brute force approaches are not that interesting to me personally.
Absolutely. I don't get the mega bucks driver that requires a mega bucks amplifier that requires a dedicated 20 amp line approach unless one is absolutely strapped for space.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Valid points; however, we must realize this is a hobby and folks have different tastes. I believe it keeps the hobby enjoyable and engaging.

Absolutely. I don't get the mega bucks driver that requires a mega bucks amplifier that requires a dedicated 20 amp line approach unless one is absolutely strapped for space.

·
Registered
49 Posts
And if the Maelstrom 18 (XJ-18) will be ready before my tests begin, it will also going to be tested.
I sure hope to see this thing at your subwoofer shootout. :) The final engineering sample parameters have been published and the production should start during april. So I guess it will not be in the spring shootout?

Here you can find the parameters.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
A bit late to this thread but I will have my word:

I wonder why we are making Ilkka's life difficult with so many questions/investigations. What is so hard not to understand?
Illka is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) subwoofer tester in the world, and he is young (BTW). Nevertheless he has tested so many subs and we all benefit from the results for free.

Now either you are willing to help, or you aren't. If you are, consider this money an encouragement to Ilkka for the unpaid time and efforts that he is doing exclusively for the shacksters, leave aside all the investment that has done in these tests as far as drivers/enclosures/shipping/transportation....

I don't give a care to my 40 or 50 bucks that I donate after the tests for a specific driver or whatever. Just consider it as an encouragement to Ilkka's tests. But the kinda "what will our money become when it is transformed into a sub" is not very ethical IMO.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ilkka,

How are we doing on acquiring an Acoupower driver for testing?

I just noticed there is a 15% off sale for Acoupower drivers for the month of April. A great time to buy if we have enough interest! I'll chip in a little more if it will make a difference...

Dr V

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Ilkka,

How are we doing on acquiring an Acoupower driver for testing?

I just noticed there is a 15% off sale for Acoupower drivers for the month of April. A great time to buy if we have enough interest! I'll chip in a little more if it will make a difference...

Dr V
I though we were progressing quite nicely but now Carlos haven't replied to my e-mails for a quite a long time. I don't know what's happening.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Last time I talked with carlos, last week I believe, he is very busy. I would call him. It sounded like he would like to get one to Illka.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I though we were progressing quite nicely but now Carlos haven't replied to my e-mails for a quite a long time. I don't know what's happening.
I talked to him via email last night. I nudged him a little, hopefully he will get back to you. He is now an authorized Crown dealer!

I'm now a Crown man myself, having picked up a pair of CE4000's. :yes:

Dr V

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think we should all call and nudge him, I realy want to see tests on this sub now, that I have one, listening to it right now:hsd:. I was sceptical, I knew it would be great but I wasnt sure if it would measure up, haveing gotten used to the LMS5400

·
Registered
75 Posts
"I was sceptical, I knew it would be great but I wasnt sure if it would measure up, haveing gotten used to the LMS5400"

And the verdict is....

·
Registered
241 Posts
To early for a verdict, but it definitly rivals the LMS. It seems to have better upper bass in initial impression. Very articulate and accurate bass. I will have to swap them back and forth a few times to see for sure what I prefere.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.