Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , im building my new hometheater on my new house. My space is 15 ft X 21 ft, i was thinking on going with an exodus tempest x . I only have experienced building my front speaker, with came quite well so now im deciding on going for the subwoofer. Any designs or suggestions? help is highly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
What's your budget? A Tempest-X2 with a plate amp (500 or 1000W depending on budget) in a slotport design would be awesome in that room.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi , im building my new hometheater on my new house. My space is 15 ft X 21 ft, i was thinking on going with an exodus tempest x . I only have experienced building my front speaker, with came quite well so now im deciding on going for the subwoofer. Any designs or suggestions? help is highly appreciated.
Thanks
Your room is similar to mine ( 15 x 21 x 8 ). I am approx. 3/4 through with my first build. I went with the Tempest-X2 and the Dayton 500w amp per Kevin's suggestions. My external box size is 18 x 20 x 52.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It all depends upon your budget, size constraints and what you desire to achieve. The slot ported Tempest is a good value though and I think it would fit most people's needs for a balanced HT/music system with a healthy amount of output.

The Shiva-X2 builds are for those with size constraints and the M-18 & M-21 are for those who want to build an output monster or have the more disposable income.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My budget is 700 to 800 dollars, i think a tempest x 2 would be good any build recomendations? im new to subwoofer building

·
Registered
181 Posts
My budget is 700 to 800 dollars, i think a tempest x 2 would be good any build recomendations? im new to subwoofer building
Read around on this forum. Ck out the DIY subwoofer database-there are some good pics on different builds. I got my idea from someone else and then tweaked it some.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If your not sure which to build, I'd go with the slot ported design, just over 5-cubic feet and the 500W plate amp. That design has good output, is musical and is a good value. You will come in under budget.

An alternate approach, is a Maelstrom-18" in a larger sealed box. Maybe 6-8 cubic feet would be good and use one of the inexpensive EP-2500/EP-4000 amps to drive it. That is closer to your budget threshold but you would have an upgrade path to more output and sealed vs. ported.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Always go for the best driver IMO.

I'd build a sealed Maelstrom and pair it with a QSC or Behringer EP2500.

Make sure to pick up the Behringer Feedback Destoyer for an eq.

Subs are much easier than mains IMO. With the exception of cutting the big panels. They require less bracing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So whats the best way to go ? the tempest or the other woofer , whats the difference in sound between ported or sealed, my room is 15 ft X 20 ft and 8.4 ft high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts