Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using REW to help integrate a subwoofer with main stereo speakers by equalizing their levels. Note that the pre-amp does not have test tones, so REW is what I'm using to generate pink noise from my laptop using a 3.5mm to dual RCA plugs (and then into the pre-amp). I'm using a Radio Shack sound meter (c weighting, slow).

Two questions: (i) should I set output gain on my laptop (though the headphone output) at 100% and adjust all volumes through REW? And (ii) what volume level should I choose in the pink noise generator in REW (I believe the default is -20db)?

Thanks for your thoughts!
dwb

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, David!

Don’t think I’d run the laptop headphone volume at max, as you might be getting distortion.

Basically, “optimizing levels” in the manner you’re speaking of aren’t a big deal. If you can’t get enough signal in REW’s Soundcard window to get the meter reading where it needs to be, then increase the headphone output. If REW’s level adjustments seem to be “hair-trigger,” then reduce the computer’s headphone output.

Same with the level of the pink noise generator. There is no optimal level figure in REW. The main thing is getting a comfortable volume in your room.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 2 of 2 Posts