Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am curious to know once the "set target level" has been adjusted, do you try to match it on your SPL meter once the equalization has taken place? ie. Measuring all channels for 75db and the sub to match SPL of the new target level?

Or does the house curve take that into account anyway, and you should aim for 75 db as the other speakers?

This is a one of a few missing pieces to my understanding of finalizing the EQ'd setup after REW and BFD.

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts

Not sure if you’re asking how to adjust your sub level after equalizing for the purposes of normal listening, or for the purposes of taking an new REW reading.

If it’s for listening, after equalizing you just use whatever method you used before to adjust the sub level relative to the mains – test disc or what have you.

If it’s for getting a new frequency response reading after equalizing, you’ll need to start the normal REW set-up routines over – setting the input level, the SPL calibration, etc.

For either one, having a house curve (or not) is not relevant.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for chiming in, Wayne. To clarify, I had a fairly smooth response curve after using REW to locate filters for the BFD that I was satisfied with. I was doing an SPL check on all the speakers before I sat down to watch a movie. It was then that the question came to me.

It's good to know that with or without the house curve, the sound meter reading should be relative to the other speakers. I rarely, if ever, listen at reference levels, so I normally favour a "hotter" bass a few db above the other speakers. I'll see how the current "house curve" effects that perceptively at different volumes. Sounds pretty good to my ears so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts