Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just joined this forum and have a few questions. Get ready to absolutely despise me for my overall lack of knowledge and pathetic set-up. Any how, I just upgraded my pathetic sound system with a larger subwoofer, hopefully that provides a little extra pop. I think it is 150 watts and has a 12" driver. So I read somewhere that two subwoofers were better than one, so I was wondering if i should also connect my existing subwoofer in addition to my new one. The new one is Monoprice and the second is Yamaha. My yahama is an entry-level one - 8" drive and like maybe 100 watts. Is it even worth it to set-up both? Will they cancel each other? I probably will have to place them next to the front speakers for placement, and I have quite a large living room with a connected kitchen - quite a large area. Thanks for the help and belittling the **** out of my puny system.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Lol. I worries. This isn’t that kind of forum.
To your question, no. I wouldn’t add the Yamaha. Two subs are better than one, but in this case the Yamaha will hold the monoprice back. Btw, is this a monolith by monoprice?
Also, the phase responses will be very different especially around the ports tuning and will likely leave you with a very poor response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is up to luck. Phasing is unpredictable. The sound wave will doble on one frequency and compensate on the other. Also the sound picture will be different in different corners of the room. Sure you get more pop here and there but the overall sound quality may degrade. For that reason one sub + small front speakers usually better then two big front speakers, that is unless you use bass management system.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My son has a similar setup. A Yamaha YST-SW011 (100W 8") under his bed and a Monoprice 10565 (200W 8") under his desk. His room is about 10' X 10' and the two subs together far overpower the room. They sound amazing together. The Monoprice has a phase switch on it. I tried it both ways and can't tell the difference just from listening and being in the room. Actual measuring equipment might tell a different story. I would absolutely say use them both. What do you have to lose? If you don't like the sound then you can test, test, then retest and keep the one that hits louder and deeper. My money would be on the Monoprice.

I quiz my kids all the time.... "What is the right number of subwoofers to have?" They can all tell you .... at least 2 dad.... They also know to put them in the corner.

Good luck and please let us know what you did and what you liked the best.

Dave

20200401_230128.jpg 20200401_230240.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
You taught them well Dave!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts