Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm treating a 16' (L) x 11' (W) x 8' (H) ["popcorn" ceiling/sheet rock walls/carpeted floor] to become a mixing room. I'm having a room analysis done, and will be using absorption (rigid glass fiber panels), Mo Pads and Sub Dude (for 3-way monitor isolation) and bass trapping. Given all things being "equal", I shouldn't place my subwoofer under my work desk, correct? The mixing station will be 2/3 in from the rear wall and centered 3' from the facing wall. The monitors will be 2' 10" from the side walls. If more info is needed I can post some hand drawings. Thanks for your suggestions. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. The Subwoofer Crawl has some great suggestions, and I'll mos def do that as well. I'm using REW5 for the room analysis. Am I to understand REW will indicate subwoofer placement too? My apologies for asking such dumb questions. I'm quite new to treating a room. The plan is to analyze the room bare (with just the rig set-up), treat it and place a bed and small amoire, and do a second analysis to see how smoothed-out the room is after-treatment. If this approach is wrong, please advise. And again, thank you for your help. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW I've found several YouTube links about the room testing process. I have "Acoustic Design for the Home Studio" by Mitch Gallagher, and he suggests using an SPL meter w/output for the test instead of a mic. Most of the YouTube videos say use a mic. Are there any opinions on which is better? Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts