Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Hot Pursuit at -12 on master volume and when a shot was fired the subwoofer made a loud pop. I turned it down to -17 and the re watched the same scene and the pop was gone.
The movie is not one with high spl or dynamic. I'm concerned and need advise for the pop. I'm afraid it's the avr or sub.
Please help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Hi asere. The times I've heard a pop from a sub, it was bottoming out. I would be surprised if this were the case with the KK. Especially with a track that's not really that hot. That's all I got. Sorry...

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi asere. The times I've heard a pop from a sub, it was bottoming out. I would be surprised if this were the case with the KK. Especially with a track that's not really that hot. That's all I got. Sorry...
Thanks. I agree it's not a hot track. What's interesting when watching a hot track there is no issue. It's the second movie that's not hot that this has happened. I wonder if it's the disk track that has an audio glitch.
Can the avr be the issue?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
If it doesn't happen when your playing a hot track then I wouldn't think it is the avr. Do you have some test tones you can play through the sub? Maybe you can isolate the freq that it happens.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
If it were the avr, I don't know what it would be. If the trim is too high I've read that, that can introduce distortion into the signal. I doubt that's the case but idk. Seems like an anomaly in the track but...
Have you tried it at the higher volume again?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it were the avr, I don't know what it would be. If the trim is too high I've read that, that can introduce distortion into the signal. I doubt that's the case but idk. Seems like an anomaly in the track but...
Have you tried it at the higher volume again?
I tried it at same volume and did it again. At lower it was gone.
Now something crazy. With a different movie that's doesn't work the sub it does it at this one scene high or even low volume.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Wow. I would get ahold of KK. Especially since it was fixed not too long ago. I've heard subs make weird sounds when the female connectors wiggled Loose to the point they were just resting on the terminals. I'm sure this is not the case.
I'd try KK CS.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. I would get ahold of KK. Especially since it was fixed not too long ago. I've heard subs make weird sounds when the female connectors wiggled Loose to the point they were just resting on the terminals. I'm sure this is not the case.
I'd try KK CS.
Sorry I hadn't upgraded the forum on the kk issue awhile back. The sub did not have to be fixed. It was the avr pre out but somehow worked again. I'm going to watch insidious 3 tonight and see.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I solved the mystery but partially. When I turn audyssey OFF even though the trim is at +1.5 the pop stopped on the same scene. This was with MV at -12 and -8.
Now why would audyssey cause the pop?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Ok I solved the mystery but partially. When I turn audyssey OFF even though the trim is at +1.5 the pop stopped on the same scene. This was with MV at -12 and -8. Now why would audyssey cause the pop? Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
dynamicEQ?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
My 805 has no Deq. If audyssey is on it pops but off it does not.
interesting. I wonder if older versions calibrate with a kind of house curve similar to how DEQ would shape the curve. This is absolutely based on zero information. Just trying to come up with something. Curious, have you measured?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
interesting. I wonder if older versions calibrate with a kind of house curve similar to how DEQ would shape the curve. This is absolutely based on zero information. Just trying to come up with something. Curious, have you measured?
I haven't measured. I'm wondering if the audyssey on the 805 went bad.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Probably the wrong time of night, but maybe another audyssey cal would be in order soon.
I think it's funny, I read about guys running audyssey over and over again, and for some reason I find it a pain. Probably cause I never get the house to myself. Lol
I wish I had a good answer for you. I hate watching movies all puckered up waiting for a sub to blow up.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably the wrong time of night, but maybe another audyssey cal would be in order soon.
I think it's funny, I read about guys running audyssey over and over again, and for some reason I find it a pain. Probably cause I never get the house to myself. Lol
I wish I had a good answer for you. I hate watching movies all puckered up waiting for a sub to blow up.
I know I don't get the house to myself often either. I have no choice and redo audyssey hopefully next week. Watching insidious 3 now with audyssey ON. Hopefully no pop lol!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So how did go during insidious 3? No mention in the "movie" thread so...good?
All was good until it popped towards the end. I emailed audyssey and the said to go up on the gain and then calibrate to get closer to -10 to avoid that.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is that to say the trim was to high(i.e.: -5 vs-10?).
With Kreisel on the gain there is a reference level that you are suppose to leave it on. So I'm not sure exactly what setting that is. It's not like others were you start at nine o'clock or so. Having said that I'm going to take it away from reference and start at a + 3 gain, calibrate and see if I get around a -5.
I guess reference on the Kreisel is a low gain to begin with.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts