Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We rearranged our basement and moved the home theater to a different location. Any suggestions of where to put the subwoofer?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Hi browndk26, I would start in the right front corner. This will help maximize the conservative output of the sony sub. (If that's still what your using). If it's too tight in the corner, it may sound "boomy", and "one note"-ish. This is where moving closer, and farther from boundaries becomes important, as experimentation will allow you to know for sure. However, to be frank, many htib subs will sound that way no matter what. Not a knock, just speaking to their design compromises. Room looks nice!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I still have the Sony Subwoofer. Some day I will get a better one. I will try the front right corner. That is where I had thought of initially.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the sub in the corner between the couches before we moved everything. I will give that a try again and do the sub crawl. FYI I have no surround speakers, just the front stage and the sub. Had I known what I know now, I would have bought 6 of the energy C-200 speakers and had a 6.1 setup. This setup has worked ok so far.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. In the previous setup the couch along the wall was opposite where it is now. And there was a lot of open space on either side of the setup. In the photo below, the couch along the wall was by the support post and the TV was where the bookshelf is. The sub was next to the post. All that space around it may have prevented localization.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
No. In the previous setup the couch along the wall was opposite where it is now. And there was a lot of open space on either side of the setup. In the photo below, the couch along the wall was by the support post and the TV was where the bookshelf is. The sub was next to the post. All that space around it may have prevented localization.
Thats probably true. I think boundary gain is worth 6db per.(generally speaking) How was tactile response there? Have you started experimenting yet?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not yet. It has been a busy week at work. Maybe Friday when the wife is out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put the sub at the corner of the two couches. I ran the audyssey room correction. It set all my speakers at 40 hz. After saving the room correction I changed all the crossovers to 80 hz. I checked the speaker levels with an SPL meter app on my phone and the are between 60-65 dbs. Do I now go and adjust all the speakers to 75 db using the AVR speaker level adjustments?

My front stage was set at -3,-.5 and -2.5, subwoofer at +.5.

Trying it out later as I had some things to do earlier and the wife is napping at the moment. If it doesn't sound good I will do the subwoofer crawl to find a better spot.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Nice. I'm curious to see his it goes. I'd leave the levels. I've used db apps, but I think if it really counts I'd trust audyssey first. Even real db meters can waver from one to another, but they are at least made to measure the lower octaves. More than a phone mic especially. If you were using a db meter I may say otherwise. I think a 10 db discrepancy probably shows the roll off of the phones mic. If I'm not giving enough credit to db apps, I'm happy to learn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts