Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

At present, my subwoofer is located in an alcove (underneath the stairs, but closed off lounge), and the back wall of this alcove is the party wall with our neighbours being the other side. It's also in the corner.

It seems incredibly well insulated - we never hear a peep from them, but I am wondering if I can reduce the amount of noise I may be transmitting through the wall.

Would rotating the sub 90degrees so it's facing outward into the room and not to the left along the wall, and moving it into a more 'central' position in this alcove reduce the amount of sound that it transmits through the rear wall, or is it not going to make any difference at all, owing to the nondirectional nature of bass?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts
Low frequencies are omnidirectional, so it won’t matter which way you turn the sub.

Blocking bass frequencies is challenging, and there is no cheap and easy fix. Basically, sound proofing requires mass. You’d get the best result by adding a second layer of sheetrock to the existing wall, and then build as second free-standing wall in front of that one, that’s air tight and also double layered sheetrock. This will help considerably, but probably won’t eliminate the lows entirely.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low frequencies are omnidirectional, so it won’t matter which way you turn the sub.

Blocking bass frequencies is challenging, and there is no cheap and easy fix. Basically, sound proofing requires mass. You’d get the best result by adding a second layer of sheetrock to the existing wall, and then build as second free-standing wall in front of that one, that’s air tight and also double layered sheetrock. This will help considerably, but probably won’t eliminate the lows entirely.

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks for your reply.

Do you think the concrete slabs I've put under the sub (that you can see in the picture) are helping much? They certainly pretty much eliminated being able to feel bass notes through the floor and sofa.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
If you have Audyssey LFC you can contain the bass. There are settings for that from mild to great containment but I find LFC kills the bass no matter what setting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts