Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to build two subs for my HT, my first speaker build (ever). Each will be Dayton 15" Ultimax in 3 cu ft sealed enclosures powered by one EP4000. I'm looking for help with the internal wiring.

I'm planning to use 12 gauge Belden speaker wire (stranded) since I have a 500' spool of it. On the speaker end I'm planning to put the stripped wire ends directly into the spring-loaded connectors. At the connection to the binding posts inside the box, I'm not sure if I should just solder the wire to the tab or if there is a connector that I should use. I'm leaning towards soldering.

Any advice?

Regards,
sga2

·
Registered
452 Posts
You can take a small length of brass (or copper) tubing obtainable at hobby shops and slip it over the end of the stranded wire (choose an appropriate size to make a snug fit. Then solder it (apply heat to the tube and apply solder until all voids are filled). Use pliers or a vise to flatten the opposite end of the tube and slip it over the terminal connector and solder. You might want to slip a piece of heat shrink up the wire before the final connection and then slide it into place over your tube connection.

I personally prefer soldering because pressure fittings are always subject to corrosion (though the chance is low), and that could affect the connection.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts