Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what can I buy locally to stuff a sub woofer box.... Pillow filling from walmart? Do I need wool? Is this stuff going to catch on fire if the speaker sparks or something? Is that a stupid questions?

Or do I need to buy from parts express? for like 50 bucks? seems over priced for filling...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Afaik it's just polyester fiber, so any poly fiber fill should work just fine, and I've seen plenty of builds that have used polyfilled pillows as stuffing. I bet wool would work to some degree as well, but I'm sure that would be even more expensive. Polyester definitely burns, but so does wood. Glass fiber won't burn, and I think you can use that kind of insulation as well as fill, but it's definitely more messy and irritating to work with.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
what can I buy locally to stuff a sub woofer box.... Pillow filling from walmart? Do I need wool? Is this stuff going to catch on fire if the speaker sparks or something? Is that a stupid questions?

Or do I need to buy from parts express? for like 50 bucks? seems over priced for filling...
Radio Shack used to sell speaker enclosure stuffing; not sure if they still do. Some folks use house insulation, but there is a risk of the fibers getting into the speaker basket. I suppose the higher density, the better, since the idea is to absorb the back wave of the speaker so that it "thinks" it is in a larger enclosure. Stuffing it pretty well full will result in about a 25% increase in effective volume, IIRC.

Not enough current to generate enough spark to set anything on fire, even at high volumes. If that was a concern, the paper cone of the speaker would not survive.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Thanks.. I just did not want the sub to burn the house down.... haha
You can actually get stuffing labeled "fire resistant", which I would highly recommend. Some amp internals get pretty hot, so it's always a good idea to add the extra protection if you can.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Get some pillow stuffing and you are good to go. I believe rock wool and perhaps the more expensive "speaker" stuffing could be more dense than cheap polyfill, and thus slightly more effective. Worth the huge price difference? I personally don't think so. I've used both and can't tell a difference. There is however, a big audible difference going from no fill to proper fill for both speakers and subs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What's the best bang for the buck for lining a ported subwoofer? That eggcrate foam at parts-express is about $2.19/sf, or $50 per sub in a LLT. Are we still using fiberglass batts in large ported subs?

Are people using roxul / mineral wool for ported subs too, or just for sealed subs?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
What's the best bang for the buck for lining a ported subwoofer? That eggcrate foam at parts-express is about $2.19/sf, or $50 per sub in a LLT. Are we still using fiberglass batts in large ported subs?

Are people using roxul / mineral wool for ported subs too, or just for sealed subs?
I've seen pictures of people doing that, I've also seen people use foam mattress pad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to come in like these and i dont know if i am doing these correctly,but for quiet sometime i have been wanting to build Fusseli tower sub,but a few things i needed was distance between floor and ground in my case i need to go for rubber supports since my floor is tile,since having a Tannoy sub which i have never liked the sound,you speak about some modification on the sub what exact are they?when i analyse my system got a strong respond on the 70-100 not a smooth bass its like a Pro bass sound very agressive.
Sorry my English is no longer great.

Best regards

Jose Arraiano

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.