Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the weather permits, the next round of subwoofer testing will be held on the first weekend of May, 5-6th to be more exact. At this moment it looks like we will have enough subs to make it a two day event like last year. :surrender:

I have been contacting many subwoofer companies (domestic and foreign) and also Finnish subwoofer importers during this spring, and the list below pretty much shows who replied positively. There were also some dropouts due close but no cigar date of publications. You can probably guess those subwoofers. Of course many of those subs are privately owned and thereby loaned by their owners. :hail: Do notice that this is still a preliminary list, I'm sure there will be some changes until the actual testing begins.

The testing methodology has been adjusted a bit, but the biggest change is the new CEA 2010 standard that will be accommodated.

BK Monolith-DF (same unit was tested last time, will be used as a reference)
BK XLS200-DF
B&W PV1
Chorus Vertigo XLS 07
DIY Adire Audio Tumult 15" MK1 sealed 100L
DIY Peerless XLS 12" ported 85L
DIY Rythmik Audio Servo 12" sealed 56L
DIY Tangband W8-740E 8" sealed 9L
DIY TC-Sounds 2xTC-2000 15" sealed 140L
DIY TC-Sounds TC-2000 15" ported 270L
DIY TC-Sounds TC-2000 15" sealed 90L
HSU MBM-12
HSU VTF-3 MK3 + turbo
Monitor Audio BRW10
SVS 20-39PC+ (12.3)
SVS PB12-NSD
SVS SB12-Plus
Velodyne SPL-1200 MK2

So called 'maybe list'. Meaning not confirmed yet or under consideration whether I am going to test it or not.

Pioneer S-W250S

I would definitely like to have some/more large and low tuned ported subs (LLT), but unfortunately many of them are being built as we speak and won't necessarily be ready before the testing begins. I also know that there are many Soundsplinter's 15" and 18" drivers on a ship somewhere on the Atlantic ocean... :duh:

I will update this post as I have new information about the event.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yo....if you pay for insurance and shipping, plus a dialy stipend for the number of days I would be without one of my towers, you are more than free to take one of them and put it in your shootout! :D

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really hope that 270L TC-2000 sub can make it.
Yes, that subwoofer is done (I've actually listened to it), and the guy lives pretty close to me. There are some small transportation problems but we WILL overcome them. :boxer:

I will definitely like to see that 90L sealed TC-2000 15" being compared to this large ported version. I have a feeling that I am not the only one...

There is also a ported ~500L RL-p 18" in the works. If the driver arrives in time, it will be there too.

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yo....if you pay for insurance and shipping, plus a dialy stipend for the number of days I would be without one of my towers, you are more than free to take one of them and put it in your shootout! :D
Oh can I? :sarcastic:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Well, very exciting to see how the famous brands compare to the DIYs!!

Blaser

·
Registered
521 Posts
I will definitely like to see that 90L sealed TC-2000 15" being compared to this large ported version. I have a feeling that I am not the only one...
Oh wow, yeah, that would be fantastic. About as close as one could get to comparing the performance of good designs for both alignment using the same driver.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Will you be using a control subwoofer to check the stability of test conditions over the test period? I think Tom V suggested this. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
BK Monolith-DF (same unit was tested last time, will be used as a reference)
I imagine that would be popular choice in Europe since it is a known quantity.

Assuming you retest and publish the Monolith graphs all the other subwoofers tested will be straight comparisons. :T

A head to head between the PB12+ and the Monolith would settle a lot of discussion. :devil:

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will you be using a control subwoofer to check the stability of test conditions over the test period? I think Tom V suggested this. :)
Yes, I will be using a reference subwoofer from the previous round so we can see how comparable those results are. I will also check the stability of the test conditions over the test period (meaning between each day).

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the picture of the LLT in its home.

- TC-2000 15"
- 270 L
- 16 Hz / 6" aeroport
- 2 kW

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it the SVC or DVC? If it is the DVC, wried in series or parallel? What amp is being used?
It is SVC, so 4 ohm bridged.

The amp is a Novacoustic (Solton / Craaft Audio) X 2000 clone. Measured output of ~2 kW into 4 ohm bridged. My own sealed 2x15" sub will have two of these. :devil:

We are going to have two dedicated 16A/230V lines for these puppies. No line sag problems. :T

http://www.novacoustic.com/html/x_amps.html

1 - 20 of 400 Posts