Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I want to build my home theater system but right now i'm just throwing ideas around, and one of them was to set up a subwoofer underneath the sofa, this way when you are watching movies you really feel the bass... what do you guys think? feasible? would it work?

C

·
0 Posts
Re: subwoofer under sofa

sure you can i have one in my living room it is a Yamaha 200 watt sub but it is perfect for under the couch it is one that came with my Yamaha sound bar system it is low profile check it out at best buy

·
Registered
78 Posts
You guys that use the bass shakers, how do you mount them? I find that most of my furniture is hollow inside. There really is not a lot of wood under the to mount them to. Just a lot of springs and emptiness. My brother picked up a few on sale a few years back, and we ran into the issue of a mounting place. i might try to get him to give me them if i can find a way to use them.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Problem with placing a decent subwoofer underneath a couch is that most couches I know of aren't very high off the ground. Even a modest 15" driver will be ~8" deep, with beefier ones being much deeper. Then figure you'll want the driver to have some clearance off the ground (downfiring), and that adds another 3-4".

How about a subwoofer next to or behind the couch?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
You guys that use the bass shakers, how do you mount them? I find that most of my furniture is hollow inside. There really is not a lot of wood under the to mount them to. Just a lot of springs and emptiness.
Well, you can attach some pieces of wood across (1"x4"x???" or 1"x6"x??")

My brother picked up a few on sale a few years back, and we ran into the issue of a mounting place. i might try to get him to give me them if i can find a way to use them.
Do you know What kind??? ... Aura, Buttkicker, etc. ... I have a Buttkicker, they sell a kit that you place under one leg of the furniture and attach the bass shacker to the base; but I prefer under the furniture .. it work better :yes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Also, take into consideration if you like having your sub nearfield. I personally don't like it, but others do. Its really just personal taste. Granted, I had a 300L Sonotube sittiin right next to my couch, that could account for the unnatural sound I was experiencing :coocoo:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, you can attach some pieces of wood across (1"x4"x???" or 1"x6"x??")

Do you know What kind??? ... Aura, Buttkicker, etc. ... I have a Buttkicker, they sell a kit that you place under one leg of the furniture and attach the bass shacker to the base; but I prefer under the furniture .. it work better :yes:

Aura Bass Shakers.

I may have to "borrow" them and get an amp for them. Maybe flip my couch and chairs over to see what is under them. i figured they would be best directly under the buttocks. Maybe any would, like the frame in the front or back would work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts