Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knows if the sub preout on a Denon 3808 has enough power to deliver signal to 4 subwoofer amplifiers or is there some type of line driver for home audio that would have to be used?:scratch: Thanks for any responses.:T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I suspect that you would not be able to get 4 subs to run to there full output off of one line feed. But really the only way to know for sure is to give it a try it wont hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries of burning the preout up?
If they aren't getting full voltage is there anything that can be used to perk up the signal? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
One of these would boost the signal.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for what may be a silly question but how does that work and get the job done? All the reveiws talk about using it as a mixer for there computers?:scratch:
I'm tottally new to this using proamps in the home thing so i hope you'll forgive my ignorance and numerous questions. Thanks again.:T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
simply plug the sub output of the receiver into the input 1 on the mixer (you will need to buy a 1/4" TS adapter to rca from them as well) and then plug the two tape outputs (left and right) into the subs inputs two subs on each output.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
4 is a bit much to drive the subs with Y adapters, but some sub amps have pass throughs (line in, line out), so you can daisy-chain them.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if mine do, have to check. I'll be using 2 HPSA1000r amps and 2 Crown xls802 amps.:dontknow:

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I have the hpsa 1000 standalone amp and it does not have a line out. :( Just stereo in and line in.

Not sure if the plate amps from the same company (with similar product numbers) have the line out.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, mine are the standalones too, bummer! Any suggestions other then what tony advised doing? Thanks.:T

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does that bump up the audio signal from the preout so you can run multiple amps without preout voltage drops and all 4 amps get the signal they need?:huh: Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well I only have one sub but I would think you can split the signal coming out of the s-convert at least for 2 subs. 4 subs I don't know but I would still lean towards it working.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Does that bump up the audio signal from the preout so you can run multiple amps without preout voltage drops and all 4 amps get the signal they need?:huh: Thanks.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I read somewhere (Can't remember), that using a Y cable from AVR to split the signal doesn't affect/degrade it.

Will you be using DIY subs????

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess all i can do is try.:dontknow:If anyone else has some ideas or suggestions throw'em out there. Thanks,Bambino.:T

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Guess all i can do is try.:dontknow:If anyone else has some ideas or suggestions throw'em out there. Thanks,Bambino.:T
:T

When I started this hobby I had a Sony AVR with just one sub output, I connected a Velodyne sub, an Infinity sub and Buttkicker amp splitting the signal with "Y" cables; I didn't notice anything bad.

I think that as long as the pro-amp receives enough signal from AVR it will work fine, (just read the manual to see how much voltage do you need to get the most out of your pro-amp, in my case the Samson needs at least 1.24V(4dBu) to get full power, I'm not sure how much my Yamaha RXV2700 delivers on the sub pre-out) but they sound good.

EDIT: I just read the manual and Yamaha outputs 2.0V

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I better brake out the holy bible of Denon and see what it says. Thanks for the insight.:T

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well looks like i'll have to call Denon tomorrow as i can't find the specifics on voltage.:hissyfit::scratch:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts