Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is no doubt a silly question but.....

I will soon receive a Velodyne SMS-1. I have already purchased a subwoofer but have not connected it to my system. I intend to use it for a 2 channel music only system. the SMS-1 has a single RCA for input. How do I connect the outputs from my 2 channel preamp (which has a right and left output) to the single input in the SMS-1. Is a simple Y connector appropriate? I read somewhere that the Y connector does not adequately sum up the signals from the left and right channels.
TIA.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
This is no doubt a silly question but.....

I will soon receive a Velodyne SMS-1. I have already purchased a subwoofer but have not connected it to my system. I intend to use it for a 2 channel music only system. the SMS-1 has a single RCA for input. How do I connect the outputs from my 2 channel preamp (which has a right and left output) to the single input in the SMS-1. Is a simple Y connector appropriate? I read somewhere that the Y connector does not adequately sum up the signals from the left and right channels.
TIA.
Welcome to the shack Amdan, You only run the lfe output of your reciever to one of the lfe inputs of the sms. Then you run a left and right output from the eq out on the sms to a source input on your reciever that you are not useing for something else. Then you run a cable from one of the lfe outputs of the sms to your sub. Your sms will come with instructions that are pretty simple to understand. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you only have a two channel preamp with only a left & right channel output and not an Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) then the Velodyne SMS-1 has to also work as a high pass crossover for your mains. Hook the L/R outputs of the preamp to the stereo L/R (RP-12) inputs of the SMS-1. Connect the subwoofer line level input to one of the the SMS-1 LFE (RP8) outputs, hook your power amplifier L/R inputs to the SMS-1 High-pass (RCA) (RP-11) outputs.
http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/sms1guide.pdf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I received the unit today and found that I can connect left and right outputs from pre-amp to the SMS-1 (as mentioned by bobgpsr). This wasn't clear to me from reading Outlaw Audio's guide to the SMS-1. Actually, I think the manual was a lot easier to understand than the Outlaw Audio guide.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Doesn't the pre-amp take care of the mains for the crossovers? I know you can use the sms for that but since it only covers sub freqs why would you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts