Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I recently became interested in DIY speakers/subwoofers and before I delve into the complicated area wanted to do some serious reading on speaker design and implementation so I could start out with a strong theoretical knowledge and then transfer it to real life eventually. I was wondering if you more experience guys had some suggestions on what I should look into to get design ideas and a basic/advanced understanding of quality speaker design. I have heard that Floyd Toole's papers were a great start and am hunting those down currently anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
84 Posts
Go to Gedlee.com and order the speaker design book from there if you have an eng background and know what a complex frequency variable is, ie the "s domain".

Failing that I would get a book from the 50's - 60's on circuit theory so that you can begin to understand crossovers.

G

·
Loudspeaker Design Cookbook - Vance Dickason
Acoustics - Leo Beranek
Audio Transducers - Earl Geddes and Lidia Lee

From an auditory standpoint, I can't help but recommend An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing by Brian Moore.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The manual posted on my website is free to read - 160 pages with about 80 % diagrams. Its about taking good room measurements and discusses the results of experiments and measurement consistency.

There is one chapter on building your own speakers and using DSP Xovers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.