Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The more I think about this built in sub speaker, the more it seems like a novelty. If this was such a good idea, more mfg's would be doing the same thing.
The idea of a powered bass section in a 3way by itself is very good , but you have to have line level input only and pair it with powered mids/highs as well. And 8" just isn't sufficient for a "sub" woofer. A loudspeaker wiith powered sub has to be active all the way through - a great example of this being the ATC SCM50SL. Either go all passive with a sub or all active, and really, still with a sub.

If you're interested in a passive full range tower, go old school with one of these babies:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/SB12.3/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
OP here again

Well last night I pulled the trigger on a Onkyo TX-NR808, today I'm headed out to listen to some speakers.
As far as speakers are concerned, I've kinda got my eyes set on some PSB speakers. I will start with the fronts and center,
with sub and rears coming in later. My question is about the Image T6 Towers and Image C5 center. Is this a good match for
this receiver and room size? Any suggestions for listening to better speakers in this price range?
My receiver should be here next week some time, looking forward to this all coming together.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey John just checking to see if you have received your Onkyo 808 yet and if their are anymore updates for your system. Also, I'm curious to hear your thoughts concerning the BDP 93.:T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hey John just checking to see if you have received your Onkyo 808 yet and if their are anymore updates for your system. Also, I'm curious to hear your thoughts concerning the BDP 93.:T
I received my Onkyo TX-NR808 on Friday. This thing was a little bigger than I thought I measured for, to fit in the lower shelf of my TV stand. As I went to slide it in to check the fit, it wouldn't go. I needed another 1/8th inch of clearance to slide it in. The feet on this unit were pretty thick, so I went to home depot and found exactly what I needed to replace the feet, it now fits like a glove. I had to order the PSB T6 towers, as they were out of stock, they had the C5 center in stock. I was told it would be a couple of weeks for the towers to come in. So, I'm hoping to have them by next week. I haven't decided on surrounds and sub yet, but I'm leaning toward a HSU Research sub. As for the BDP-93, I haven't used it much, other than to make sure it works. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
OP here again

Well last night I pulled the trigger on a Onkyo TX-NR808, today I'm headed out to listen to some speakers.
As far as speakers are concerned, I've kinda got my eyes set on some PSB speakers. I will start with the fronts and center,
with sub and rears coming in later. My question is about the Image T6 Towers and Image C5 center. Is this a good match for
this receiver and room size? Any suggestions for listening to better speakers in this price range?
My receiver should be here next week some time, looking forward to this all coming together.
Those PSBs T6's are a very nice deal. Although if I were going over the $1000 threshold I would probably wait out for the new Ascend Acoustic NRT Tower speakers or perhaps a pair of JTR Triple 8s. With the amplification I'd probably swing for SVS MTS-02s though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I received my Onkyo TX-NR808 on Friday. This thing was a little bigger than I thought I measured for, to fit in the lower shelf of my TV stand. As I went to slide it in to check the fit, it wouldn't go. I needed another 1/8th inch of clearance to slide it in. The feet on this unit were pretty thick, so I went to home depot and found exactly what I needed to replace the feet, it now fits like a glove.....
Please check the Onkyo owner's manual for recommended clearances to provide adequate ventilation. Such a tight fit in your cabinet is asking for early failure due to excessive heat buildup. It can also result in poor performance. Improper ventilation is an oversight far too common in home entertainment installations. If you don't improve this issue, don't be surprised if the unit shuts off from thermal overload.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Please check the Onkyo owner's manual for recommended clearances to provide adequate ventilation. Such a tight fit in your cabinet is asking for early failure due to excessive heat buildup. It can also result in poor performance. Improper ventilation is an oversight far too common in home entertainment installations. If you don't improve this issue, don't be surprised if the unit shuts off from thermal overload.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Ditto, fitting like a glove is not a good thing. Those hole in the top of your AVR aren't just there for decoration. You should have arleat an inch, if nor more, of space between the top of your avr and the stand, especially if there are ant kind of doors on the stand.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glad to hear that you have received your Onkyo, but I have to go with everyone else's response concerning ventilation. I have a 603 and 1007 and they both run very warm. Onks are known for how warm/hot they can get.

I'm sure your pumped with the PSB's being on order! As for the subs, I know HSU makes some good uns!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ditto, fitting like a glove is not a good thing. Those hole in the top of your AVR aren't just there for decoration. You should have arleat an inch, if nor more, of space between the top of your avr and the stand, especially if there are ant kind of doors on the stand.
The fit like a glove comment was just a misnomer. Actually there is plenty of clearance all around.
The TV stand is an open design w/ glass shelves that sit on steel beams. Once the ONKYO gets under the steel beam,
there is open space all around, including the top. Only an eighth of an less on the bottom. I hope that's not an issue,
the original feet were 7/8 of an inch thick to begin with. I can always raise the unit back up to original clearance by
putting an eight inch back under the unit, once past the steel beam.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good deal, you just never know on these forums and you never want to leave something unsaid that could actually help someone. I'm pretty pumped for you and your "soon to be system"! You should be pleased...very pleased. ;0)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
OP here again, I just wanted to pop back in here and say thanks to everyone who had an answer to my questions, or made a suggestion.
My system is finally hooked up and thanks to Audyssey it sounds great. This is what I ended up with.

:T

Vizio M55ONV - Razor LED LCD
Direct TV HD
OPPO BDP-93 Blue Ray
ONKYO TX-NR808
PSB Image T6 Towers
PSB Image C5 Center
PSB Image S5 Surrounds
HSU Research VTF-1 Sub-Woofer

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's great to hear and thanks for coming back to let us know how things are sounding! It looks like you have an awesome setup, sad part is...there is no cure for the addiction.:rolleyesno:

Soooooooooooooooo.....whats next?:R:rofl2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
OP here again. After having this system in place now for a few weeks, I just wanted to make a comment to those just getting into Home Theater. I initially came up with a budget of $1500.00 for receiver and speakers. All of the initial comments said that it was probably a little bit on the cheap side. I gave it some thought and did some homework and listening to speakers. In the end, I spent twice as much as I had anticipated. But, I'm so glad that I did. This setup really makes my day now! There's nothing worse than spending any amount of money and wishing you had something better. So, all I'm saying is think this out a little bit before you commit to an entry point system. :T

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
OP here again. After having this system in place now for a few weeks, I just wanted to make a comment to those just getting into Home Theater. I initially came up with a budget of $1500.00 for receiver and speakers. All of the initial comments said that it was probably a little bit on the cheap side. I gave it some thought and did some homework and listening to speakers. In the end, I spent twice as much as I had anticipated. But, I'm so glad that I did. This setup really makes my day now! There's nothing worse than spending any amount of money and wishing you had something better. So, all I'm saying is think this out a little bit before you commit to an entry point system. :T
Good to hear. It's truly never about the money spent, but the experience after you spend it. So when money alone dictates your decision the experience will suffer.. whether that's 50 dollars or 50 thousand dollars. When your pour your time, effort, and quest for high value into the process, you really end up satisfying yourself. I agree with you entirely.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts