Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Did anyone else find the sound on this movie to be too bright/harsh sound-wise? And the dialog nasally and hollow at times?

I know a lot of you are totally in love with the audio quality... Not second guessing your opinions, for sure. But even the train wreck scene seemed bright and trebly --- lacking some smoothness --- especially compared to a movie like dark of the moon that is effortlessly smooth and dynamic.

At least that's what my ears are telling me in my HT. I've only read one other comment to that effect in bluray.com submitted by a reviewer. I thought maybe something had changed in my set-up so I spent a while checking all of my settings.

Hmmmm???

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Re: Super 8 - Blu-Ray Review

Not really sure what to say, The audio seemed good to me. I did find the dialog to be a bit soft at times but other than that can't really complain.

·
Senior Shackster
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

As stated in my review, I noted some definite sibilance/treble sharpness at times in this mix - perhaps it has to do with the speakers used, but my current review system is very detailed and I know the instant any content has harsh highs.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
I just re-read your review... Thanks for the response!

My speakers run on the bright-side... But not in a significant way. Perhaps they aren't ideal for this movie just for that reason :-( ??? Bummer

Definitely not criticizing your review --- more or less asking if anyone else had a similar opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
27dnast said:
I just re-read your review... Thanks for the response!

My speakers run on the bright-side... But not in a significant way. Perhaps they aren't ideal for this movie just for that reason :-( ??? Bummer

Definitely not criticizing your review --- more or less asking if anyone else had a similar opinion.
Yes, I felt it was a bit harsh at times and dialogue a bit quiet. Problem is I seem to judge everything on Dark of Moon. Probably not fair.

·
Senior Shackster
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I think any speaker that doesn't have rolled off highs (meaning any neutral or bright speaker) will exhibit some harshness in the treble here, so don't worry about your speakers :)

·
Banned
4,557 Posts

Okay...

Man, I'm disappointed!

The only other movie that I've ever had this experience with was Public Enemies. The dialog harshness almost made the movie unwatchable...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

What speaker do you have as your center?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Odd that it would be so bright, Makes me wonder if its just an off occurrence and only with this movie.

·
Senior Shackster
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

It is with this particular mix - my speakers are very neutral and I only noticed it with Super 8, I haven't watched any other films that have this particular issue.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Tony, I agree with you. That's why I was posing the question. Like I said, the only other movie I remember watching that led me down this road of cringing a bit was Public Enemies. We actually stopped watching it because the dialog was hard to understand.

I can say this for sure, I don't understand! ;-)

I've read, over the years that some folks think Polks tend to lean to the brighter side when it comes to stereo speakers. Maybe that's the case... But, anyhow..

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I have Klipsch speakers and have also heard them described as bright. I personally love the sound of my speakers but several times during this movie I did cringe a bit. Bits and pieces of the train wreck in particular.

·
Registered
50 Posts

This movie is good and worth watching. There is a good story and acting. There is some nice low frequencies and a couple of nice action scenes. Definitely worth a viewing and I would consider it a 8/10.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Thanks to your review I decided to go and buy this one, definitely one for the books. I like the feel of this movie, comfortable viewing in the regard of relaxing on a Friday night watching an epic. Thanks again!

·
Registered
71 Posts

I watched it on bluray at 100" at home about a week ago.

All technical aspects were superb, including the audio. Not a trace of sibilance or cringeworthiness. Very clear dialogue.

I thought the development of the plot at the end was not to the same standard as the rest of the plot and story. Within the context of being a kids' movie I guess it was fine. I felt like I was watching The Iron Giant all over again, which *is* a brilliant movie but does not disguise its kids-orientation.

I guess I was so caught up in the movie's first three quarters I didn't see the simplified ending coming. My bad.
:heehee:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Sonnie, its a great movie all be it a little odd. The LFE is enough to bring any system to its knees. Defiantly worth a look:T

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
The LFE in this movie forced me to buy a new sub. That train scene still plays over and over in my head. Go get it Sonnie it's good stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Shhhhhhhhh, your not supposed to tell him about the Train scene :shh:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts