Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh,,,WOW!!!
It's too, too much!
I got a "MAN-TV" from Santa and the on-board speaker(s) are not very good. I therefore wanted to make a quick study of what was "the best" but affordable 5. or 7. surround system, receiver and speaker-set for my new 3dhdtv, pronto,,,!
_NOT_ goinn'a happen!
If you have gotten caught up in my opening statement, then you can figure out that I am lost! My tv has hardly even been powered up since I started visiting this and other forums in my AVR search project. Why, you ask?
Because I went 'dumpster diving' at several local pawn shops, several times and ended up with a pair of pristine, vintage, Polk SDA-2's and a Infinity 12", 200W, BU-120 active sub to hook to my little Panasonic book-shelf, bi-amp stereo. With this setup the tv sounds a bit better now. However,,, I have a LOT of favorite cds that have been collecting dust until now. Well, my music has been resurrected because I can not watch tv while reading and there is a lot to read. To that end I went pawn shop hopping and bought the afore mentioned junk so I could at least listen to tv and my music while I read page after fascinating page of component reviews, promotions and hardware critiques. Like for ( just one ) example, how in the world was I supposed to know that I could plug my stereo _headphones_ into a device and listen to 7.1 surround sound from a stereo/2 ch source?! I mean is that for real!? Should I swallow that concept/claim and accept what I read, hook, line and sinker or should I trust my instincts, which screams "yea,, right”!?!
By extension, how am I ever supposed to choose a AVR and speaker-set to suite me when each and every product description/review is written to make it sound like the perfect fit for my set-up? It is giving me fits just trying to figure out where to start. Me thinks it will be a fun journey, so,,,, while Billy Joel’s Greatest Hits plays on, let’s get started, shall we?!
I wish someone could say something to comfort me. :wave:
I’ve got my work cut out for me!
JimatMilkyWay
-----------

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Shack. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Jim welcome to HTS. When it comes to things like AV Receivers, there are a myriad of factors that go into what makes for the best AVR for your particular application.

In no particular order, efficiency of your speakers will have an impact on how powerful of a AVR you need, User Interface, size of the Room, preferred listening levels, budget, and the number of HDMI Inputs just to name a few factors.

We will do our best to recommend an AVR that is perfect for you. Every application is different as are expectations.
Cheers,
JJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts