Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And sound quality (two channels and multichannels) your primary concern.

Would you rather buy...

1-A used high end processor ( krell hts 7.1, classe ssp-300 or other similar high end processor)

2-or a brand new low end with all the bells and whistle processor?

I really mean processor, not receiver.

3-If you had 2000$ would you do the same thing?

p.s. There is not enough money to buy a high end 2 channels preamp + a processor, or receiver.

·
Registered
704 Posts
2. Get something that will decode the new high def audio codecs.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well I believe speakers will make a bigger difference in sound quality if you have low end speakers now. Not that $2000 will buy the best speakers but if you have speakers that are not very good a better processor or reciever won't make that big of a difference. IMO.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It depends on what your using for a receive now? Processing has come a long way in the last 5 years and a new receiver with room coorection is a must. For between $1500-$2000 you can buy a supper nice receiver from Onkyo that will blow away the compittition. All mid to high end receivers have a pure direct mode that bypasses all but the nessisary internal processing to give you the purest two channel sound you can get.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My listening room is 17 x 27 with 13 feet high ceilling

I have simaudio amp and Martin Logan Vantage speaker (front), in wall surround speaker ( seas woofers and planar tweeters), no sub and no center channel ( I adhere to the no center mono sound school)

I dont' have blue-ray player and I don't plan to buy one this year.
I used an Oppo universal player which has one HDMI output connected to my sharp Aquos tv set, sound through digital output to my preamp-processor

I used to use for surround sound my b&K reference 20 preamp-processor, but is defective, only stereo still working perfectly. I'Ts not worth to send for repair.

The raison I said that sound was my primary concern it's because my main source for music is my Oracle Delphi 4. I've not heard digital that was even remotly closed to the sound quality of this turntable (on the other hand I've not heard all of them).

For me a receiver is out of question.

One aspect to keep in mind, right now, I can afford 2000$ max preamp-processor.
In less than 2 years I will not have to pay morgage anymore. So there will be muych more money available.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
For me a receiver is out of question.
May I ask Why?
For the same amount of money you spend on a Preamp you can get a receiver that has far more features and has pre outs so you can use it as a preamp and still get all the features.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I have Martin Logan Prodigy's with a Theater center and Ascent surrounds. I am currently using a NAD T785 Receiver and will be changing that to an Onkyo 906 come tomorrow or Tuesday. I previously ran an Onkyo 876. All of these receivers have handled the preamp duties and powered the center and surrounds, while a pair of Emotiva XPA-1's are powering the Prodigy's. No regrets with any of these receivers. I definitely would not discount receivers, which I believe would as good if not better than any preamp Krell makes... or anyone else for that matter. If you insist on a preamp only... wait for the Emotiva preamp processor release... it is priced right. :T

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before going to separate, I was using receivers. I wouldn't want to down that path again.

In my opinion, no receiver can stand to an amp. Of course you said to use the pre-out function, but I also think that no receiver can stand to a separated processor which, unless paying a fortune ( even then I would have to compare them), can not stand to a separated preamp.

For me buying a used high end processor, or even a high end processor in 2 years, will be a compromise on sound quality. Maybe in two years from now, I will be able to buy something like a Classe ssp-800 or better. Right now, I have to settle for less. downgrading the sound for tv, or movies is out of question.

I like movies, but I really love music.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If sound quality is the primary concern, then I think you have to pick the higher quality product. Even if it is older. The difference between an average DAC and an excellent DAC is quite large. Larger than the difference between compressed versus uncompressed digital soundtracks (given there's this big moving picture distracting you from the audio). You'll appreciate the audio quality more when you're listening to 2-channel music.

You don't necessarily need to go into the price range of a Classe SSP-800 to achieve the level of sound found in the SSP-800. $2000 used can get you pretty much there, if you find the right product.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
If you're not happy with the curent sound, I would be first looking into treating the space acoustically...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Before going to separate, I was using receivers. I wouldn't want to down that path again.
This may have been the case 5 or mor years ago but receivers have come a very long way in the last 5 years. Your not giving them a fair chance and you will be spending allot more money than you need to. I'd put my Onkyo 805 up against any PrePro you can find for even tree times as much and I bet you would never be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you're not happy with the curent sound, I would be first looking into treating the space acoustically...

Well, the acoustic is not a problem. It's the defective, and old, processor.

My room is large, and it doesn't have a box shape (or worst a cube shape) prone to troublesome standing waves ( however, any room has some standing waves). It has wooden walls with carved patterns. There's a big unused window behind the sound system. It's been filled with acoustic wool and covered with a big African batik. The nearest wall (right of loudspeaker) has lot of plant and two easy chairs. I also use a big stuffed sofa with big cushion which adsorb some lower frequencies.

Mind you, the next processor will be a temporary solution until my next $$$$ step.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Hi Daniel,

Because you're from Quebec, Canada, where do you intend to make your purchase(s)?

* Is $1,500 to $2,000 are Canadian $ or USA $?

** Have you consider the use market for an Anthem AVM 50, or AVM 40? ...Canadian breed. :)

*** Or if you are shopping in the USA, about the Onkyo Pro PR-SC886P? Sweet Pre/Pro for only a thousand bucks USA.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Daniel,

Because you're from Quebec, Canada, where do you intend to make your purchase(s)?

* Is $1,500 to $2,000 are Canadian $ or USA $?

** Have you consider the use market for an Anthem AVM 50, or AVM 40? ...Canadian breed. :)

*** Or if you are shopping in the USA, about the Onkyo Pro PR-SC886P? Sweet Pre/Pro for only a thousand bucks USA.
* Funny, my wife always ask me the same question. USD of course:bigsmile:

** Anthem is on my short list. It's always easier to deal with a canadian based company. Classé Audio and Simaudio are there to. I had to deal with Simaudio, short driving distance, they are great. I heard that it's the same with Classé. There's also Bryston.

***I'm shopping in Canada and USA. I 've read good (when it's working) and bad thing ( we customer need support) about Onkyo/Integra processor. If I buy one, and have problem, how will be the customer support? It might be a great processor, but I will not take a chance (It might be my lost!).

·
Registered
636 Posts
The build quality and measurements of the Integra line is slightly better than the Onkyo line. I haven't heard either, but what I've read online has led me to believe the sound quality is good, but not great. I'm currently using a Marantz AV8003 and the sound quality is excellent IMO. The only caveat is you need a player that will decode to bitstream, because the AV8003 doesn't have enough CPU to both decode DTS-HD or DD-TrueHD and perform room correction.

My previous home theater setups included a Yamaha RX-V1400, then Emotiva DMC-1, and now Marantz AV8003. Each of these was a very significant step up in sound quality from the previous.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
While reading about processor, I've noticed that some are great for surround sound but only fair for 2 channels. Since I used a high end turntable ( with phono preamp), I have to take into account the 2 channels aspect.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
While reading about processor, I've noticed that some are great for surround sound but only fair for 2 channels. Since I used a high end turntable ( with phono preamp)
I own an Onkyo and I can asure you the the Onkyo's and Integras and many others do a superb job with two channel playback They even have a pure direct mode which turns off all internal processing except what is necessary giving you the cleanest sound possible.

·
Banned
601 Posts
* Funny, my wife always ask me the same question. USD of course:bigsmile:

** Anthem is on my short list. It's always easier to deal with a canadian based company. Classé Audio and Simaudio are there to. I had to deal with Simaudio, short driving distance, they are great. I heard that it's the same with Classé. There's also Bryston.

***I'm shopping in Canada and USA. I 've read good (when it's working) and bad thing ( we customer need support) about Onkyo/Integra processor. If I buy one, and have problem, how will be the customer support? It might be a great processor, but I will not take a chance (It might be my lost!).
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response. I now understand better where you're coming from.
You probably already know about the Anthem Statement D2v/ARC1 Surround Sound Audio/Video Processor? I know, I know, it's $7,500 USA, but in my opinion it is THEE BEST.
That's why I suggested you the AVM 50 or 40 for now, from the used market; and then later when the funds are available... you got the picture...

Now, Simaudio, close to where you live, wow!, excellent my friend, excellent indeed.
Classe & Bryston are impeccable companies too. I see you know your stuff.

And you're right, these pre/pros from any of these companies above will do excellent in 2-channel Stereo sound (analog & digital), compared to the Onkyos or Integras. And you're also right about customer support, you'd be much better off with Anthem, Bryston, Simaudio, or Classe.

And for your turntable, just pick one that has one of the best Phono preamp section, or even a separate one if you have to.

* So now, for $2,000 USA, I'll go with a pre/pro from either Anthem, Simaudio or Classe (Bryston too).
But you know that you need to get an excellent deal, don't you?
Or you need to hit the used audio market (Audiogon or others from private sales).

** Now it's all up to you to do your research to find the best deal, because you surely know where and what to look for.

Good luck, and keep in touch for sharing your find.

Regards,
Bob

P.S. To keep in touch with reality, I would personally try to score a used Anthem pre/pro.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts