Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post the best choices for surge protectors that DO NOT limit current to amplifiers (receivers). And better yet, can someone post the commonly available surge protectors/filters that work the WORST in Home Theater systems. This I believe would be very helpfuly to many readers of this forum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use PS Audio , I currently use 3 one of which is a inwall Soloist Premier on a dedicated line (10awg 20amp) from there it feeds there newest Dectet ( this is called daisy chaining) this runs my processor ,source and amps while the Quintet takes care of my tv,cable box & sub on a separate dedicated line (12awg 20amp) I do use my Halo A21 directly to the Soloist and any of these don't limit current :cool:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Surge suppressors do not limit current any more than the wiring in you home and the outlets that you plug your equipment into. Active devices such as battery back devices or regeneration devices might.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Certainly, if a power strip or extension cord was underrated and the system was being run at a level that demanded lots of current, there could be some limiting going on, but the surge suppression itself is in parallel to the power and does nothing until a certain voltage is reached. Most surge suppressors are rated for 15 amps, which may be more than the electrical circuit.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I must be referring to surge suppressors that are also power conditioners.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Just look at the current rating. Power conditioners are filters. There are two ways to filter noise that is higher in frequency than the signal, which is the case with a.c. One way is with capacitors, which pass the high frequencies to another line. These have no effect on current capacity. The other is with inductors, which is what happens in the transformer in your power supply and the coils in your speaker crossover. These can limit the current that passes and it takes very large coils (inductors) to be able to pass as much current as the a.c. line can deliver.

I do not recommend power conditioners unless you have a specific problem with noise that you are trying to filter.

The other method is power regeneration, like the PS units, which create their own clean sine wave. They can limit the available current, but not likely significantly. They are mostly not needed, IMO.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personally, I like line conditioners. I've seen some very poor quality power that wreaks havoc on equipment reliability and longevity. I don't care anything about the boutique variety with pretty face plates. I buy decent quality mid-priced plain Jane variety.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Emotiva says to plug their amps directly into the wall plug. They have surge protection built into them. I plug my two amps into the wall plug and the rest of my equipment into a surge protector and all work well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Surge protectors and line conditioners are completely different animals. Surge protectors are okay but I'm "generally" not a huge fan of them. However, line conditioners can save expensive gear from most any power problems including brown-outs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts