Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Tripp Lite equipment. I'll soon be adding a projector and moving our LCD to another room, so I'll need a couple of add'l surge protectors.

Incidentally, I have an old Tice Solo AV unit that I got through Audiogon years ago. I've been reasonably happy with it (haven't lost anything, but who says that I should have). What's the story on Tice Solo vs. the Tripp Lie Isobar units? I just need to decide where to use the Tice (w. LCD and equipment, w. equipment for projector, or with projector).

Of course, I could recycle the Tice on Audiogon and get 3 Tripp Lites.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
If you are going to be using a projector, get a good outlet with a built in protector for it. For the rest of the system, make sure that you get a unit that protects all incoming lines. Before you by, post the equipment that you will be using and what products you are looking at for protection and I will be happy to check it out and make recommendations. Tripplite has some good stuff, but they are not always the best value or best protection.

Surge protection has become one of my strong interests, out of curiosity and the desire to prevent damage to our client's equipment. I won't sell you anything, but I do know what to look for and am happy to help. Where are you located and do you have any recurring power problems?

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion... I honestly I hadn't posted equipment details because I didn't want to jerk your thread around to get my own personal advice.

Projector will be Panasonic AX100U. I will be rear shelf mounting, and there is an existing outlet a few feet away from the projector shelf. A 4 outlet ISOBAR sitting on the lowest shelf of the projector shelf is the best way to hide power cords... that's why I was leaning that way. (1 outlet needed, may plug in other stuff on occasion so I figured I'd get 4).

Projector system will also have Toshiba HD A2, Verizon FIOS DVR, Receiver (Sony AVD-70ES for now, probably Onkyo 605 or similar in fairly near future), a Gamecube, and a custom powered sub that uses a Hypex HS500 amp (so, ~6 outlets leaves one open, but I don't mind having 8).

LCD system will be a Benq DV3750 LCD TV, Verizon FIOS DVR, Receiver (the Sony mentioned above will be here soon), VCR, a CD Changer, and an iPod AV dock. Might move the Gamecube up here if I ever get something else (so, ~8 outlets leaves breathing room).

I don't have the projector yet or the FIOS boxes, but this is what I plan to get. I figured that I'd just get a 4 outlet ISOBAR for the projector, and an 8 outlet HT Tripp Lite for the LCD system.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
When you get an idea of the model you want to buy, post it here and we will check it out. The idea of the thread was to find the best value in surge suppression. My current favorite is still the CyberPower 1090 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120408
which can be found for under $30 and has pretty good protection for the price.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
See post #5 in this thread for a discussion of this type of unit.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Has anyone considered a UPS for protection. They regulate the output voltage, provide backup in a power failure, and have inbuilt surge protection.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
A UPS is not needed for protection, and they vary greatly in the quality of the protection that they offer. Some of the more expensive units that offer onnline regulation and pure sine wave output may be very effective, but it depends. In general, UPS devices are not a good value for protection and trade protection for the UPS option at low prices. Many have no protection for lines other than the a.c. line.

The bottom line is, it depends. You have to evaluate each unit on its own. It is very difficult to generalize.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
MOV based units have been adequate in my experience, which includes nearly 3 decades of service and installation in Louisiana and north central Florida, two of the worst places for lightning in the nation. Filtering may be better than with MOV based units bot in terms of performance for the dollar, MOVs are very inexpensive protection. Many of the decent ones have a lifetime warranty.

I am open to comparisons, however. Pick a particular model and lets compare to that $25 CyberPower 1090.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks again.Im looking at upgrading my protection and seen the ZS site and was wondering about the validity of their claims.I guess my best option would a whole house device or maybe just install a few of the duplex wall plates that incorperate 3 MOV's.Filtration is not needed as I feed my source components from a DIY balanced AC device.

·
Banned
174 Posts
I dont know what is happening in your country , but , over here in Australia we are not allowed to have power surges or lightning strikes , it is just against the law.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I dont know what is happening in your country , but , over here in Australia we are not allowed to have power surges or lightning strikes , it is just against the law.
Our provincial government is looking seriously at passing a bill that will allow them to collect a tax on every lightning strike.:bigsmile:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks again.Im looking at upgrading my protection and seen the ZS site and was wondering about the validity of their claims.I guess my best option would a whole house device or maybe just install a few of the duplex wall plates that incorperate 3 MOV's.Filtration is not needed as I feed my source components from a DIY balanced AC device.
Most whole house devices do not protect anything but the a.c. line. They are fine additional protection, but I feel much better about a unit local to the system that protects all incoming lines. We see lots of damage from cable and sat lines that are unprotected. Mist duplex units are similarly not protecting the signal lines.

Make sure that your balanced power designe maintains ground integrity and that al of the signal lines into the home are properly grounded.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
On cable systems where the coax is split to go to multiple rooms, why not put a surge protector inline with the cable line before it's split? I did a quick Google search, and found the following choices.

http://www.pccables.com/02404.htm
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/coaxial_lightning_protectors.php
http://www.comm-omni.com/tii/tiicoax.htm
This is a very good question, and in general a good idea, with some attention to the whole picture. There are a couple of issues here.

First, if you want to protect the against a surge on the signal line, like the gas discharge tubes in most of the above suppressors, you want the location to be as close to the ground connection at the entry point as possible. You would want it to be right at the ground block or have its own ground block, preferably. You would NOT want it in the house just before a splitter or in a distribution panel.

Second, most of the destructive srurges come in on the ground of the cable or sat line, not the signal line. The grounding at the entry point is very important, but having the extra connection at the surge suppressor local to the system may be a benefit as well. Consider what happens in a lightning strike that is nearby, say a tree in your yard. The ground may actually go high relative to the electrical system live side for a short period of time. At this point, all the grounding becomes a source for damage. A good surge suppressor will have MOVs that clamp that high ground side back to the lower potential of the electrical system. This is why better surge suppressors have H-N, H-G, and N-G protection. It is also why lots of systems on these suppressors survive very close strikes.

The bottom line is, ground the system properly, add as much suppression as you can afford, but make sure you do it while being mindful of where the surge will need to go.

J

·
0 Posts
I need a small unit to set on a shelf under my projector. I was thinking that I'd get an ISOBAR4ULTRA... any comments?

Have you tried the Cyberpower units, or is your assessment based on specs?

Thanks for the help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The whole point of the thread was to compare specs, prices, and experience to find the best value. Go check the specs on the ISOBAR4ULTRA and the CP1090 and give us your opinion. I have given my opinion plenty of times here. Let's get some other analysis and other views. You be the consumer and compare. Post your results. We should not just rely on one perspective.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts