Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the other "movie"thread inspired this question. What are some of your favorite scenes,with standout surround sound moments? Scenes that just make you go, whoa, that's what it's all about. Kind of like the scenes with "bass in yo face" threads. One off hand for me is, in Peter Jacksons King Kong. During the brontosaurus stamped scene, a young T-Rex gets flung from the center of the screen and audibly flies past the viewers right side, with this funny squeal that makes me lol every time. Or toy story 2 when the "fixer" is done, and the door shuts behind the viewer, even in 5.1 it sounds like it's right behind you. Super convincing. Anyway, might be lame, but I thought a twist on the"favorite"thread might be fun. Whatchugot?

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I don't know what the movie was but there is a scene where a helicopter flies in from behind and then comes into view as it flies away in front of you.
While I was watching the movie both my cats turned around and watched where the helicopter was coming from and where it went. Hilarious.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! Exactly what I mean. One of my favorites is Enemy at the gates. Early on in the movie, when Vasili meets his future best frenemy, you can hear a missle go from one corner to the other. When I first saw my cat watch it's flight pattern, I knew I got it right. Still makes me smile.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I don't know what the movie was but there is a scene where a helicopter flies in from behind and then comes into view as it flies away in front of you.
While I was watching the movie both my cats turned around and watched where the helicopter was coming from and where it went. Hilarious.
I'm picturing Armageddon or maybe Behind Enemy Lines? Yup, when your pets just respond it's one thing; but it's a lot different when they react on that level. Something's right at your house, too!

Haha! Exactly what I mean. One of my favorites is Enemy at the gates. Early on in the movie, when Vasili meets his future best frenemy, you can hear a missle go from one corner to the other. When I first saw my cat watch it's flight pattern, I knew I got it right. Still makes me smile.
Sure, I bet you used a laser pointer (Just/kiddng)! :R No really now, it's no simple task.
Looking forward to hearing from others who got it right, too!

·
Registered
192 Posts

Really common effect, but the film that comes to mind is GHOST IN THE SHELL. It opens with voices on radios, computers all around, and as you zero in on two moving targets on a tactical display, it dissolves into the real world, and two helos move from rear to front.

I watched THREE KINGS (finally!) this weekend on Netflx, and was impressed by the sound (and writing, and acting, and...). Almost tempted to get it on BD, though it's not a film I want to watch over and over. Got dark, very dark, in spots ... but not was gruesome as I feared. (I thought the reporter might get assaulted by republican guards who no longer have anything to lose.) As I recall this was the film that saved Clooney's career.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Master and Commander is one of my favorites with excellent use of surround sound. Any of the battle scenes really makes you feel like you are in the middle of the action with debris flying all around.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Master and Commander is one of my favorites with excellent use of surround sound. Any of the battle scenes really makes you feel like you are in the middle of the action with debris flying all around.
fo sho. Even with the dvd version (which I defaulted to because of the LFE filter on the BD), the wood breaking, and bits flying about are razor sharp. Directionality is great too.
U-571 has a scene(a bunch actually) where they're trying to clear the keel of the destroyer, and the shrapnel in the water is banging on the sub. Makes me feel like I'm in that sub every time. Watching with my BIL once, he actually got up and walked over to the window, thinking he heard something in my yard! Lol

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
My favorites are:
Lone Survivor - the forest battle scene and also when the choppers are flying in to the drop zone
WWZ - the gernade scene
Interstellar - the giant waves
Book of Eli - gatling gun scene and also the street shootout
Tron - bike scene

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My favorites are: Lone Survivor - the forest battle scene and also when the choppers are flying in to the drop zone WWZ - the gernade scene Interstellar - the giant waves Book of Eli - gatling gun scene and also the street shootout Tron - bike scene
All good ones. In my house, LS is probably one of the best ever. I can only imagine, but it seems like the only way it could be more realistic would be in a real fire fight. WWZ was excellent too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had Star Wars Ep. II and liked the opening of the Naboo cruiser landing, and the explosion, but finally ditched it as I was dissatisfied with so much of the film.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
All good ones. In my house, LS is probably one of the best ever. I can only imagine, but it seems like the only way it could be more realistic would be in a real fire fight. WWZ was excellent too.
My system has little credibility in the surround effects department, but it does deliver the goods on occasion. Watching Lone Survivor was one of those occasions. Even with much less than optimal surround speaker placement, bullets seemed to whiz by and many off-screen activities and sounds seemed properly located. Gives me a lot more motivation to relocate my surrounds to get the full effects all of you are describing.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

1 - 20 of 28 Posts