Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

If someone could help me I'd be really thankful...okay, here's the problem:

I can get 5.1 surround sound from my Samsung home theater in a box set up that I have no problem with the PS3 games that I play...however, when I try watching a Blu Ray (or TV broadcasts) on the same PS3 in 5.1, only the front left and right speakers work. It's driving me nuts...I'd like to hear Batman on ALL speakers....

Here's my setup:

I have the PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI cable. The surround sound system is plugged in via optical cable running to the TV.

On the PS3 for sound settings... I have HDMI selected as the connector, and for the output supported: Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch, DTS 5.1 Ch, and then Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHZ and Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz are automatically selected....

So like I said, the PS3 games come in fine in 5.1, but the Blu Ray's or regular TV do not. Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all ... Welcome to the forum :wave:

... here's the problem:
... when I try watching a Blu Ray (or TV broadcasts) on the same PS3 in 5.1, only the front left and right speakers work. It's driving me nuts...I'd like to hear Batman on ALL speakers....

Here's my setup:

I have the PS3 connected to the TV via HDMI cable. The surround sound system is plugged in via optical cable running to the TV.
Let's see if I understand correctly: your PS3 is connected to TV with HDMI, then optical from TV to HTIB, Right???

If that's the case, the TV will send just stereo signal to HTIB when watching BluRay ...you're better connecting the optical from PS3 directly to HTIB, and if you can another optical/coax from TV to HTIB for TV programming.

Does your HTIB has HDMI inputs/outputs??? ...What's the model???

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Yep, the optical output of your TV will only send stereo, even if the original signal was multichannel (you can blame the movie companies for that restriction)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the quick reply...the model for the HTIB is HT-P38. There are no HDMI inputs on it...only one optical audio in. I have that connected to my TV...but it looks like I'm better off having that directly connected to my PS3?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Yep, if you only have one lonely little digital input, connect your most often used piece of equipment to that, and connect the rest using analog.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do...I'll never have the surround sound from the analog connection though, correct? And I assume that I should attach the analog wires directly from the cable box to my HTIB..., like I did with the PS3 using the optical cable.

I do plan on upgrading sometime over the next year without a doubt. No more of the HTIB deal's for me now that I've been out of school a few years, hopefully I can start with a decent receiver and some speakers...any suggestions? Thank you both very much, it's sincerely appreciated!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Will do...I'll never have the surround sound from the analog connection though, correct? And I assume that I should attach the analog wires directly from the cable box to my HTIB..., like I did with the PS3 using the optical cable.
With analog the best you will get is Dolby pro logic.

I do plan on upgrading sometime over the next year without a doubt. No more of the HTIB deal's for me now that I've been out of school a few years, hopefully I can start with a decent receiver and some speakers...any suggestions? Thank you both very much, it's sincerely appreciated!
Do you have a budget in mind?
Onkyo makes a great line of receivers, The 706 is your best choice if you want to stay below $500
For speakers SVSound makes great speakers and some of the best subs for the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts