1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manufacturer: SVSound
Model: PB10-ISD
Provided by: Ilkka
Manufacturer link: SVSound - Box Subwoofers (has been replaced by identically performing PB10-NSD model)
Price: $429

Manufacturer specs:
• Proprietary SVS-designed long-throw 10" woofer
• 300 watt BASH digital switching amp
• Computer aided cabinet design with 1" front baffle
• Front-firing design with flush fit woofer and vent
• Patented 3" wide-flare port fittings
• Six removable, compliant floor isolation points
• Four finish choices to match any décor
• Color-keyed fabric grill with chromed mounting pins
• Extra heavy-duty, removable 8 foot power cord
• Contemporary, "seamless" cabinet styling
• +/- 3dB from 20-100 Hz anechoic, in room extension will be 2-5 Hz deeper
• Size: 15 ½" wide x 19" high x 21 ½" deep
• Weight: 60 pounds
• 220~240V 50/60Hz configuration available

Configuration as tested:
Phase: 0 degrees
Orientation: Woofer facing the mic
This is not the same unit which was tested last fall

·
Elite Shackster
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cheapest and smallest one of the SVS offerings (at the time). When considering that, it's kind of surprising that it has the flattest frequency response of the SVS subwoofers I have tested. A small hump at 60 Hz and a slope above it doesn't look that bad. The shape of the frequency response suits better for larger rooms having not much deep bass room gain. Otherwise the sound may become too bottom heavy. The PB10 doesn't have a built-in crossover, so a traditional 2-channel use won't work without an external crossover. The maximum output, both mid and deep bass, is relatively high for a 10" subwoofer. It breaks the 100 dB barrier at all frequencies above 25 Hz. A single 3" port and a high output won't come without expenses - there is quite audible port noise at high output levels. THD profile is rather strange with much higher than typical THD above 40-50 Hz; luckily it’s mainly low order distortion. Group delay stays low down to 30 Hz, but goes quickly well above the 1 cycle curve below. Spectral decay shows a lot ringing around the tuning frequency. Spectral contamination test shows average maximum output capability with higher than average overall distortion. The black vinyl finish looks somewhat cheap. The overall build quality is above average.

+ Good extension
+ Good frequency response for larger rooms
+ Relative high overall maximum output capability

- High upper bass distortion
- High deep bass group delay
- Slow deep bass decay rate
- No crossover

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm continuing to over think my purchase. I'm definitely off the Hsu VTF-1 for the SVS PB10 NSD...was willing to get even bigger base with the SB12 Plus for my 2700 cu ft space...my speakers are paradigm atoms for left and right, CC 170 for center. eventually will move atoms to rear when i move and upgrade my fronts. My big concern about getting the sb12plus is that i live in a condo and i feel like it would drive the whole building nuts? thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.