1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SVS PB1000 and SB1000 Subwoofers​
By Jim Wilson (theJman)

Conclusion
A little over a year ago I had contacted SVS and suggested they should add a subwoofer in the $500 range, something that had SVS quality but was a bit easier on the wallet than their current offerings were. The response was rather tepid, so I let it go. Apparently someone at SVS must have been thinking along the same lines because they ultimately released not one but two models priced under $500, the PB1000 and SB1000. After spending time with both I understand why; they're targeted at two different customers, and they fill those niches perfectly. The PB1000 will probably end up being the bigger seller, because it has the depth and output most home theater fans crave. Don't completely dismiss the SB1000 though, because it fills a need like few other subwoofers can. It's tiny, but that's not how it sounds or performs. The bottom line is that SVS has created a pair of entries in the budget subwoofer category that have their signature sound, but at an affordable price.

For the full review Click Here

·
Registered
819 Posts
I will most likely end up with the PB-1000 as its main application will be Home Theater. I run my PSBs full range when listening to music without the sub in play.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stellar review Jim - what a great experience to be able to do two at once!
I think it was the proofreading that made it stellar... :neener:

Reviewing two units simultaneously did turn out to be a bit of a challenge, but ultimately I concocted a system that worked for me. It was an enjoyable experience though, in spite of all the effort it took. They're both very nice subwoofers in their own right. I'm sending them off to Dale now so he can add them to the Sub Zone.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thank you very much for the review. It had to take a while to give this detailed of a review. I remember I had a review done right after I got my MTS-02 speakers, and I never got it posted for a long time because I was always worried about how it would sound to everyone else.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you ultimately posted your evaluation. I always encourage everyone to do a write up of some type, even if they don't think it's "great". The more people who add their impressions the better these forums become. That's my 02 anyway...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Jman,

I did finally post my review on this forum a half year later, but I felt terrible because it was only a few months later that SVS discontinued their M series. I have always felt bad because I was thinking that they could possibly of sold more if my review came out sooner. I realize the internet based companies need good reviews to sell their product. Oh well, this won't be my last SVS product so I will do better at posting my next review.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thank you for the review Jim , this is a nice option for us in Canada since the price is the same as the US counter part and compared to what it's sold in big brick/mortar stores at insane prices and regarding very low quality when it comes from bang for your buck .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the review Jim. I've been recommending SVS subs to several friends and wondered how the new entry level subs performed.

Prior to my SB13-Ultra, I had a PB10-NSD which I was very, very impressed with. I thought SVS had discontinued a great little sub when they did. Too bad you didn't have a PB10-NSD to compare with the new PB-1000.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Prior to my SB13-Ultra, I had a PB10-NSD which I was very, very impressed with. I thought SVS had discontinued a great little sub when they did. Too bad you didn't have a PB10-NSD to compare with the new PB-1000.
I would have loved to hear the PB10-NSD with my own ears. I don't recall ever seeing a bad thing said about it, which is rare indeed.

How do you like the SB13?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would have loved to hear the PB10-NSD with my own ears. I don't recall ever seeing a bad thing said about it, which is rare indeed.

How do you like the SB13?
I listen to a lot of music and belong to an audiophile group. Virtually everyone from the group has remarked that they seriously have to look into the SB13-U to add to their systems, many of which have high-end audiophile full range speakers. Everyone agrees that the SB13 is probably the most musical true sub they've heard, very fast, tight and accurate. Extremely low extension, I get actual response down 12 Hz (at 10Hz, I see woofer movement, but no sound and the windows rattle 35 feet away - so I guess it does out-put at 10 Hz). In short, it's a wonderful sub for 2 channel and I've never missed the extra out-put that a ported box would bring for HT use either.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I listen to a lot of music and belong to an audiophile group. Virtually everyone from the group has remarked that they seriously have to look into the SB13-U to add to their systems, many of which have high-end audiophile full range speakers. Everyone agrees that the SB13 is probably the most musical true sub they've heard, very fast, tight and accurate. Extremely low extension, I get actual response down 12 Hz (at 10Hz, I see woofer movement, but no sound and the windows rattle 35 feet away - so I guess it does out-put at 10 Hz). In short, it's a wonderful sub for 2 channel and I've never missed the extra out-put that a ported box would bring for HT use either.
The SB13-Ultra was specifically developed for applications like this. The low Q knee/corner and the shallow roll-off slope results in a low group delay and subjectively excellent transient response with that classic tight/musical/fast sealed subwoofer sound with no overhang. The fact that it also happens to rip nicely on HT source material doesn't hurt either. :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
The SB13-Ultra was specifically developed for applications like this. The low Q knee/corner and the shallow roll-off slope results in a low group delay and subjectively excellent transient response with that classic tight/musical/fast sealed subwoofer sound with no overhang. The fact that it also happens to rip nicely on HT source material doesn't hurt either. :cool:
Yes, based on my experience with my PB10-NSD, I had no doubts that the SB13-Ultra would fit my needs.

I'd always wondered how the PB13-Ultra would sound in my system, however was concerned with the very large driver's transient response and that sealed subs are generally better for music.

So as soon as I heard about the SB13-Ultra's pending release, I knew I had to have one and got in on the first shipment! Very proud to say I'm one of the first in the world to be a proud owner of this wonderful sub! :bigsmile:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm going to get the PB-1000 to replace my PSB Subsonic 5. With the exception of bass extension which the SVS has in spades over the PSB, I wonder how much better it will sound. The PSB -3db point is at 32 Hz (if I remember correctly) but it too has a very flat frequency curve similar to that of the SVS. I don't think I will hear much improvement in quality of bass but I will definately feel more and get better deep bass extension.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Graphs, charts and numbers can only go so far when it comes to determining how something performs. There's no question they're very helpful, but your ears are the only way to determine what sounds "best" for you. The PB1000 may surprise you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yesterday my PB1000 and SB1000 arrived.

First tests are promising, great little subwoofers next to my PC12nsd :D

Next weekend I will run Audessey again after setting up both subwoofers.

For DSP I use a Velodyne SMS-1

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yesterday my PB1000 and SB1000 arrived.

First tests are promising, great little subwoofers next to my PC12nsd :D

Next weekend I will run Audessey again after setting up both subwoofers.

For DSP I use a Velodyne SMS-1
Stop holding out on your results man!! :hissyfit: We wanna know NOW how your tests are going. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I didn't know if you had by chance heard the PB13/ULtra to compare. I was just wondering because I have the PB13/Ultra, but have never heard the SB13/Ultra. I have always thought my PB13 was the most musical sub you could ever have. It has no distortion, but gives you an unbelievable experience for home theater use. I tried the PB13 in sealed mode, and even for music I just feel that my ears like the ported better. Of course, my room has a pretty flat frequency response for with the 20 Hz ported mode. I do notice that people seem to fall in love with the SB13/Ultra like no other sub.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I didn't know if you had by chance heard the PB13/ULtra to compare. I was just wondering because I have the PB13/Ultra, but have never heard the SB13/Ultra. I have always thought my PB13 was the most musical sub you could ever have. It has no distortion, but gives you an unbelievable experience for home theater use. I tried the PB13 in sealed mode, and even for music I just feel that my ears like the ported better. Of course, my room has a pretty flat frequency response for with the 20 Hz ported mode. I do notice that people seem to fall in love with the SB13/Ultra like no other sub.
I only ever had a brief listen to a PB13-Ultra, and it was a while ago. From memory, it was truly amazing for HT, however music, though deep and accurate where you could hear nuances with the very low notes, etc., it seemed to be a bit slower in both transient response and decay seemed a bit unnatural which I expected from a very large driver. I was impressed, however not enough to buy one for my use in music. It's one reason that I got the PB10-NSD at that time as I felt that it had a more natural sound with music which may be because the 10" driver would be quicker and more responsive than the big 13. It wan't nearly as impressive as the PB-13-U for HT however, but I found it to be a very good compromise.

My SB13-Ultra does everything I want it to do and though the PB has more out-put for HT, the SB has as much as I ever need and I no longer feel my system lacks anything. If I had room, I might consider a second SB13-Ultra just to even out the bass response for all listening positions.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts