Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am really torn on which sub to get for my theater room. I keep seeing people review the SVS Subs and keep being drawn back to them. I wish I could hear side by side comparisons in person. Anyway they must be great!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I listen to a lot of music and belong to an audiophile group. Virtually everyone from the group has remarked that they seriously have to look into the SB13-U to add to their systems, many of which have high-end audiophile full range speakers. Everyone agrees that the SB13 is probably the most musical true sub they've heard, very fast, tight and accurate. Extremely low extension, I get actual response down 12 Hz (at 10Hz, I see woofer movement, but no sound and the windows rattle 35 feet away - so I guess it does out-put at 10 Hz). In short, it's a wonderful sub for 2 channel and I've never missed the extra out-put that a ported box would bring for HT use either.
Hi Gordog

how would I hook it up (Denon 4311Ci) for use with 2-Ch AND 9.1. If hooked up with LFE, will most AVR's still use the sub when in 2-ch mode?

thanks

mark

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi Gordog

how would I hook it up (Denon 4311Ci) for use with 2-Ch AND 9.1. If hooked up with LFE, will most AVR's still use the sub when in 2-ch mode?

thanks

mark
The 4311 has a separate digital bass management menu option for 2-channel listening. So you can select a different crossover when the AVR sees incoming 2-channel source material. It should also remember a different sub channel level setting (which is commonly lower for 2-channel vs. HT).

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 4311 has a separate digital bass management menu option for 2-channel listening. So you can select a different crossover when the AVR sees incoming 2-channel source material. It should also remember a different sub channel level setting (which is commonly lower for 2-channel vs. HT).
Great stuff. Will check it out. looking forwar the trying the Ultra 13 BTW

·
Registered
490 Posts
i think id like a pair of sb1000.they would be perfect for the size of room i have.my room is just under 1000 cuft.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i think id like a pair of sb1000.they would be perfect for the size of room i have.my room is just under 1000 cuft.
Would a pair of sb1000's (at front --no room behind listening seats and fireplace and stairs at left and right) be better than a single Ultra13. I know it would give more even coverage

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a PB-1000 to replace my Cadence CSX-12 II. I researched SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw and Power Sound Audio and in the end, the PB-1000 hit all of the important check boxes in our criteria for a replacement sub. Jman's review was very helpful, as was S&V's test of both the PB-1000 and the PB12-NSD. I was surprised at just how close the PB-1000 tested compared to its bigger, and more expensive brother according to S&V. Here are the numbers from S&V along with my CSX-12 for comparison sake:

PB-1000 Results:
Frequency response
18 Hz to 177 Hz, ±3 dB
Bass output (CEA-2010A standard)
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 113.0 dB
20 Hz 110.6 dB
25 Hz 113.0 dB
31.5 Hz 114.9 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 121.6 dB
40 Hz 119.8 dB
50 Hz 122.2 dB
63 Hz 122.5 dB

PB12-NSD Results:
Frequency response
19 to 272 Hz ±3 dB
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 111.0 dB
20 Hz 110.2 dB
25 Hz 110.8 dB
31.5 Hz 112.1 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 118.1 dB
40 Hz 119.0 dB
50 Hz 120.3 dB
63 Hz 115.1 dB

Cadence CSX-12 II Results:
Frequency response
34 to 154 Hz: ±3 dB
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 103.2 dB
20 Hz 91.3 dB
25 Hz 105.4 dB
31.5 Hz 113.1 dB
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 121.6 dB
40 Hz 117.2 dB
50 Hz 121.9 dB
63 Hz 125.6 dB

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just pulled the trigger on a PB-1000 to replace my Cadence CSX-12 II. I researched SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw and Power Sound Audio and in the end, the PB-1000 hit all of the important check boxes in our criteria for a replacement sub. Jman's review was very helpful, as was S&V's test of both the PB-1000 and the PB12-NSD. I was surprised at just how close the PB-1000 tested compared to its bigger, and more expensive brother according to S&V. Here are the numbers from S&V along with my CSX-12 for comparison sake:
I actually reviewed the Cadence, so I'm familiar with that one as well. The PB12 I've never heard though, so I have no direct insight to offer there.

What you're likely to find now -- other than the obvious size difference between the CSX12 and PB1000 -- is the SVS will play deeper, while the Cadence has more output. The PB1000 wins when it comes to dynamics too. Initially you may feel the PB1000 seems "weak", but that's merely because it's not embellishing the mid-bass like the CSX12 does. That fades with time though, and you'll soon realize how good it really is.

After you've had the opportunity to get it tuned and fully broken in be sure to come back and post your thoughts. Others will benefit from your experience.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I actually reviewed the Cadence, so I'm familiar with that one as well. The PB12 I've never heard though, so I have no direct insight to offer there.

What you're likely to find now -- other than the obvious size difference between the CSX12 and PB1000 -- is the SVS will play deeper, while the Cadence has more output. The PB1000 wins when it comes to dynamics too. Initially you may feel the PB1000 seems "weak", but that's merely because it's not embellishing the mid-bass like the CSX12 does. That fades with time though, and you'll soon realize how good it really is.

After you've had the opportunity to get it tuned and fully broken in be sure to come back and post your thoughts. Others will benefit from your experience.
Thanks J! I bought the Cadence in part because of your review, as well as S&V's too. It was the first piece of my remolded living room based home theater and has done a great job, but after 2+ years it's time to move on. I just feel that in order to really "feel" the lower bass on the CSX-12, I need to turn the trim up past where Audyssey set it, and then the upper 60-90hz stuff is just overpowering and the whole system sounds out of balance. I feel even better now after what you said, and I know I'm going to be very happy.....Thanks again for all of your work, and answering my questions on all the different forums. :T

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a quick preview to my upcoming review.........WOW

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried out an SB-1000 but the sub couldn't produce in my large room. I bought a SB12 too but still wanted more output so just sold the SB12 as well. SVS recommended dual sb12's but I'm probably going to try another brand at this point. The ultra sub's are outside of my budget. I will say the build quality of the SB-1000 was very good but I would recommend it only if you have a small room.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How does the PB-1000 compare to the Dayton SUB-1200? Don't laugh! Is the SVS PB-1000 $400 better? Thanks.

Edit: Movies only.
SVS PB-1000 hands down.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts