Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is the sub that defines 'the edge' between DIY and commercial. Flexible, competent and well-built while still providing a good value. I am a big fan of variable tuning.
I really can't say anything bad about it. For someone like me who isn't ready for a DIY solution, the cost of the PB13 would be well worth it. The built-in EQ and different port tuning option definitely make this one stand out in its price range.

What do you attribute the bulk of the weight to... 150 lbs for a single driver sub. That seems like an awful lot. I
A very heavy driver and lots of MDF. I haven't weighed the driver itself, but now I'm curious... There's nothing unusual about the enclosure construction, it's just really large. Oh, it does have a beefy steel mesh grill on the front too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What do you attribute the bulk of the weight to... 150 lbs for a single driver sub. That seems like an awful lot. I
I'd suspect that because of the very large enclosure, there is a significant amount of internal cabinet bracing. I've read that many owners have no issues with things that are placed on top of the sub jumping around despite things faling off walls and shelves nearby.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks for the great review. Now I'd like to see a review of the Rythmik FV15HP and a comparison on output, musicality, etc. It looks like Dale will be getting us that review sometime, and it looks like he has heard this sub as well. Looking forward to it - hopefully he will say something about them in comparison to each other.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the great review. Now I'd like to see a review of the Rythmik FV15HP and a comparison on output, musicality, etc. It looks like Dale will be getting us that review sometime, and it looks like he has heard this sub as well. Looking forward to it - hopefully he will say something about them in comparison to each other.
I think Dale has the FV15HP, so you can expect an HTS review sometime in the near future. They'll both be in the sub zone as well, so you'll have some measurements to compare side by side.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd suspect that because of the very large enclosure, there is a significant amount of internal cabinet bracing. I've read that many owners have no issues with things that are placed on top of the sub jumping around despite things faling off walls and shelves nearby.
I was wondering about the internal cabinet structure on this as well, at 150 lbs it must be filled with Pb.

·
Registered
218 Posts
They're quite well braced inside, and the MDF is rather thick, which adds to the weight. I think the driver alone weighs something like 55lb's If I remember correctly.

I have duals, with the older BASH amps, and like them quite a lot. That said, I keep eying the smaller SB13U's and wondering about the added placement flexibility.

Grass is always greener somewhere else, right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have duals, with the older BASH amps, and like them quite a lot. That said, I keep eying the smaller SB13U's and wondering about the added placement flexibility.

Grass is always greener somewhere else, right?
With the flexibility with them being slightly smaller, dual subs can be placed more optimally to eliminate room nulls, etc. Also the big thing with the SB13-Ultra is the accuracy they add when listening to 2 channel and their musicality!

·
Registered
218 Posts
With the flexibility with them being slightly smaller, dual subs can be placed more optimally to eliminate room nulls, etc. Also the big thing with the SB13-Ultra is the accuracy they add when listening to 2 channel and their musicality!
That flexibility is what is intriguing to me. I can't place one of my PB's in a known good location due to its size. My wife has reasonably put her foot down on that, and she really dislikes the PC's looks. Hence, the curiosity.

As for the 2-ch reproduction, I can't say that I have much to complain about there with my PB's. If the SB's are better, great, if they are the same, great. Win-win IMHO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They're quite well braced inside, and the MDF is rather thick, which adds to the weight. I think the driver alone weighs something like 55lb's If I remember correctly.
I heard about 55lbs as well, however when I asked Ed Mullen, he said the driver in the SB13-U weighs 42lbs on their calibrated scale. I would expect the PB13-U driver would weigh the same?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I heard about 55lbs as well, however when I asked Ed Mullen, he said the driver in the SB13-U weighs 42lbs on their calibrated scale. I would expect the PB13-U driver would weigh the same?
Different motor. The SB13 has the same basket and cone as the PB13/PC13, but the motor, etc is different, as well as one being over-hung vs the other being under-hung. I believe (but could be wrong) that a lot of the motor is similar as the PB/PC12.5-Plus. Not that this is really an issue, both are solidly (over)built, just designed and optimized for different applications.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Different motor. The SB13 has the same basket and cone as the PB13/PC13, but the motor, etc is different, as well as one being over-hung vs the other being under-hung. I believe (but could be wrong) that a lot of the motor is similar as the PB/PC12.5-Plus. Not that this is really an issue, both are solidly (over)built, just designed and optimized for different applications.
I would think that the basket would make up most of the weight along with the magnet which I wouldn't think would be that much different, but I could be wrong in this assumption. :huh: At least I wouldn't think it would be a 10+ lb difference.

Now I'm curious. Just wrote Ed Mullen to ask.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would think that the basket would make up most of the weight along with the magnet which I wouldn't think would be that much different, but I could be wrong in this assumption. :huh: At least I wouldn't think it would be a 10+ lb difference.

Now I'm curious. Just wrote Ed Mullen to ask.
Please share what his response is.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
When I had the driver out of the SB-13 I weighed it because I remember instantly thinking how heavy it was and it came in at 46 lbs on our typical house scale.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Peter, great review!!! I've been searching the forums for subs as I want to upgrade mine sometime to something that will go deeper. SVS is up there at the top of my choices. These do look pretty large though, which would be my only complaint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like my PB 13. Purchased a few yrs ago with the BASH amp and upgraded to the SLEDGE when available. It was ez to switch out the amps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The driver weighs 60 lbs. One guy who owns one said he weighed it. I believe the version with the sledge amp weighs in more like 160 lbs. I could be wrong on this.

Nonetheless I own the newer version in piano black and it crushes the room my theatre is in.

Best single item in my theatre.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Please share what his response is.
Here's what Ed Mullen wrote back:

"(The) SB13-Ultra driver weighs 42 pounds on our certified and calibrated shipping scale.... 55 pounds (for the PB driver) is a guesstimate on my part - it might be somewhat less, but it does weigh more than the SB13-Ultra woofer. The PB/PC13-Ultra driver uses an underhung motor, which is considerably taller than the overhung motor used in the SB13-Ultra. The taller t-yoke assembly and different size top plate is where most of the additional weight comes in. The two drivers do share the same basket and cone/surround assembly, but otherwise differ internally."

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here's what Ed Mullen wrote back:

"(The) SB13-Ultra driver weighs 42 pounds on our certified and calibrated shipping scale.... 55 pounds (for the PB driver) is a guesstimate on my part - it might be somewhat less, but it does weigh more than the SB13-Ultra woofer. The PB/PC13-Ultra driver uses an underhung motor, which is considerably taller than the overhung motor used in the SB13-Ultra. The taller t-yoke assembly and different size top plate is where most of the additional weight comes in. The two drivers do share the same basket and cone/surround assembly, but otherwise differ internally."
Thanks for sharing. Glad to see I wasn't too far off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I inserted the foam plugs into PB-13 Ultra and made it run in a seal mode.
the result.... to my untrained ears, bass got punchier. and it sounds like Jl F113.
Bass got punchier and speedier than the 20 Hz mode.
I am happy with SVS PB-13ultra.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts