Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set all the knobs according to the booklet but then after calling SVS on a separate matter discoverd that my Onkyo 705 handles much of the "knob stuff" so I was instructed to tune them to zero.

Problem is that I don't remember what the guy said about the gain and my kids played with it. I just dialed it until I heard bass but would like to know what the optimum setting is.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I assume your Onkyo has some sort of automated room setup built into it, where it will set channel output levels? I suggest setting your subwoofer level according to the owner's manual and then run the auto room setup routine in the receiver.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Try setting it about 1/4 to 1/2 the way up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. Then I'll ask my friend with the SPL to come over. How do I take a reading for bass? What would the setting be?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think your receiver has Audessey or something like it. Run it first and you may not have to make any further adjustments.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ive got the same sub and an onkyo 607. My sub is placed within a couple feet of the corner (near the listeners) and I have the knob at half way (pointing to 12 oclock). I found the Audessey to set the sub a little low.

You can run tests with the SPL meter but ultimately it comes down to..how much bass do you want to hear? It seems that I always tweak the gain a little depending on the movie (and the resilence of the plaster in my HT) :)

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Which knobs were altered, jut the gain. If so then a quick re balance with the spl is all thats need. If not, then you really need to start over.

Let me know what was touched and I'll post you a setup guide from start to finish if needed :T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts