Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the full review HERE!

The SVS SB13 Ultra is a completely different animal all around. It is not only a gorgeous piece of hardware but it performs like no other sub I have ever heard. While the ground plane test and published specs may be on par with other manufacturer products, at least on the low end, there is no way to measure articulation. The real story for the SB13 is not how it stacks up to competitors but rather how will other sub manufacturers possibly reach the bar that SVS has set with the SB13 Ultra. It is not just the aesthetics. It is not just the power. It is not just the precision and it is not just the level of detail that can be heard in the VLF range. It is all of these things combined that make the SB13 Ultra my Sub Zone Reviewer’s Choice. There is simply no better performing subwoofer in its class. Knowing that there is a subwoofer that can reproduce incredibly dynamic bass with as much clarity, precision and 'Refined Brutality' for less than $2K ($1599 with free shipping to be exact) is a testament to the commitment of the SVS team and they should be applauded for it. Job well done!

Read the full review HERE!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Thanks for the review Dale. I'm not surprised in the least that SVS has produced another stellar subwoofer. It's quite clear when they throw their name and logo on a product that it's going to be a good one.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jeff, I was expecting a great product, I just wasn't expecting it to be this great!

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Dale, this one is sealed, correct? I haven't had much experience playing around with a sealed sub (aren't they more geared for music as opposed to HT, or is that a misconception of mine?)... but your review makes this sub sound mouth watering!

Great review, as always, by the way...

T

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I can't imagine the disappointment you'll be feeling when you have to pack it up and send it off. :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I am so surprised that SVS can pack so much sub into such a small footprint. If I had the cash I would get two of these and move my PB13u upstairs although Im sure getting a second PB13u would also work well.
SVS just gets better and better products.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't imagine the disappointment you'll be feeling when you have to pack it up and send it off. :)
"LALALALALALA! I AM NOT LISTENING TO JEFF!!!" Very disappointed my friend.

I am so surprised that SVS can pack so much sub into such a small footprint. If I had the cash I would get two of these and move my PB13u upstairs although Im sure getting a second PB13u would also work well.
SVS just gets better and better products.
Indeed Tony, I am so impressed with SVS and what they have accomplished on this one.

Dale, this one is sealed, correct? I haven't had much experience playing around with a sealed sub (aren't they more geared for music as opposed to HT, or is that a misconception of mine?)... but your review makes this sub sound mouth watering!

Great review, as always, by the way...

T
I would not say that they more geared for music versus HT, I would say that they are more geared for music versus a ported sub. The biggest issue that people often run into with sealed subs is around the output. A general rule for subs is that if you need more output go with ported, if you need deeper or smoother extension go with sealed.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Obviously this one has no issue with output... I'm assuming that lesser sealed subs have those issues.

Man... I would live to take this SVS for a test drive!!!!

Thanks for responding. Have a great night

·
Registered
734 Posts
Great review! This is very high on my list of drool worthy (but could one day own if I really stretch my budget) subs.
I am going to hold off any new purchase until the new e series subs from JL Audio are out but I have a feeling they will not be able to match this beast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the nice review. I know these SVS subs never let anyone down. I have always dreamed of having the PB13U in my home and this sounds even more impressive.
Not sure if its ok to post this here but I am looking forward to a new subwoofer line coming out from another company that guarntees to slam any other sub available. I would like to see what I could do to have these reviewed here.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dale,
What made you decide to buy SB13 Ultra and not KK 12012 which has also been highly rated?
Thanks
I knew I would eventually have to answer this question and believe me when I tell you that it was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make with regard to my home theater. In the end it came down to the overall value of the SB13 Ultra. It has a more robust set of features such as the PEQ and the difference in sound quality was not enough to justify the additional cost. I really liked the KK12012 and believe me that it was a very hard decision indeed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bet. I have a similar problem to tackle as well. To make it even more difficult, I can buy Paradigm Sub15 for slightly more than SVS or KK for that matter. What would you say to that? Is Paradigm even worth considering?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recently tested the Sub 2 in and I did use it for about a week in my HT and I just was not impressed with the overall fidelity of the unit. It had a ridiculous amount of power, but it just wasn't very refined.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Dale, How would you compare the SB13-Ultra to Two Chases' SS18.1 paired with a MQ600 Amp.

Both would be around the same money at this time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts