Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

What finish do you think SVS should consider for the Ultra Speaker Line?

• Rosewood

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Walnut

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Spalted Maple

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Oak

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Cherry

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Birch

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I am a sucker for rosewood but a red cherry is also swell.

Whatever finish is offered on there subs should also be offered on their speakers so buyers can have a matched system. That sorta makes sense to me :huh:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have to add one thing though, the piano black with the brushed metal rings around the drivers look soooooo nice, the contrast is perfect.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
To me the rosewood is the best all round color, the cherry would be nice if it were a darker red...more like the rosewood :D.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to add one thing though, the piano black with the brushed metal rings around the drivers look soooooo nice, the contrast is perfect.
I agree Mike. That finish is just gorgeous!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Im biased but I had to go with Rosewood for I am looking to replace the front 3 of my theater and well my whole system is rosewood.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
I voted Rosewood... but Cherry is also my fav.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I thought the gloss black was gorgeous, but a Rosewood would be great. If they do offer a wood finish (besides black oak) I think it would be helpful to carry subs in the same finish as well, ie: bring back a rosewood (rosenut) PB-13 Ultra at least.

Next would be a gloss birdseye maple/birch for a lighter color finish option.

If they are looking at other ideas, Maccasar Ebony would be drool inducing (perhaps the most cost prohibitive, but unique and gorgeous, and would play with the trapezoidal lines in an interesting way), and a gloss finish can up the lux factor.For example, something like this:

As a side note, images of the wood may be helpful in getting feedback. I had no idea what spalted maple looked like, and I see a lot of variation of it in Google images.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I like a non reflective black for my HT room. Black oak is their current offering, but I prefer a smooth finish... or a very fine textured finish that is semi-smooth. For sheer beauty I think I would like rosewood even though I have nothing to match it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for all the votes, Shacksters! We're definitely taking the results of the poll into consideration when discussing future finish options for our Ultra-series loudspeakers and Plus/Ultra subwoofers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say the black oak and gloss black would be my top picks for a finish, SVS has nailed that part well, but if I had to pick one more.. I would also say the dark cherry.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I vote for the Rosewood.

Cheers
Dwight

·
Registered
910 Posts
If I decide to do this I would replace my L/C/R with the new Ultras in Rosewood. The rosewood is awesome.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts