Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

What finish do you think SVS should consider for the Ultra Speaker Line?

• Rosewood

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Walnut

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Spalted Maple

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Oak

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Cherry

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Birch

Votes: 1 2.1%
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
and it matches my other speakers

·
Registered
249 Posts
Fortunately for me Rosewood is not an option for pre-order... or I would be spending money I don't have. LOL!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I voted for Walnut, since too many brands already offer rosewood and cherry. Monitor Audio and PSB have both shown that walnut can be nicely done, and not look reminiscent of the vinyl faux walnut that dominated the 80's.

That said, if SVS can pull off less run of the mill version of cherry/rosewood, I think they'd be great options.

A natural cherry, more along the lines of the cherry for the Quad L/L2 series speakers, would be great... and different from the very bright orange cherry most companies offer (think Aperion Verus).

Same with rosewood - something that isn't so bright red, but more natural in color would be nice to see (I believe Salk Sound has just what I'm thinking of here).

Burled maple would be cool too, but not sure it would be a bit hit with most consumers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I liked the darker red of the old Rosewood SVS's, but a nice dark walnut would be great as well. My Salamander rack is in a walnut finish and it would be great to get something to match with that.

Overall though, I just hope they bring a wood veneer finish back.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Interesting......

I was looking through some of the show reports from the Bristol show and came across this little beauty.

That is, of course, the UBS, in a nice walnut finish. Hopefully this means that the same finish will be coming stateside soon. I think offering a wood veneer with the Ultra series speakers (and here's to hoping on subs too), will be a boon for SVS. Less dusting/fingerprints than the gloss black, and a little more decor friendly for some than the black oak (especially on a speaker the size of the Ultra tower).

Link to blub.

So Mr. Mullen, anything you'd care to share? :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Those speakers do look pretty cool. I am guessing that the piano gloss black is the huge seller. I liked SVS previous colors on the M-series speakers, but in the end I went with gloss black. They just seem to go with everything. On another note, do they even make a gloss black veneer? I would assume the gloss black might be the hardest to make.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Interesting......

I was looking through some of the show reports from the Bristol show and came across this little beauty.

That is, of course, the UBS, in a nice walnut finish. Hopefully this means that the same finish will be coming stateside soon. I think offering a wood veneer with the Ultra series speakers (and here's to hoping on subs too), will be a boon for SVS. Less dusting/fingerprints than the gloss black, and a little more decor friendly for some than the black oak (especially on a speaker the size of the Ultra tower).

Link to blub.

So Mr. Mullen, anything you'd care to share? :D
This walnut pair is just one example of several finishes we're evaluating - no firm decisions have been made yet on the next finish we'll offer in the Ultra line. I think walnut is very attractive, but with that said cherry or rosenut will likely be the most in demand.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think the Walnut looks great, if your looking for feedback. Along those lines, do you have any other images/finishes that you guys would like to get opinions on? I'm sure we'd all love to see any pic's of any finishes.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think the Walnut looks great, if your looking for feedback. Along those lines, do you have any other images/finishes that you guys would like to get opinions on? I'm sure we'd all love to see any pic's of any finishes.
We're being very picky about grain pattern and fill/gloss levels. Walnut came out stunning and that's one of the reasons we had the confidence to display it at an audio show - even as a one-off. Some of the other wood veneer samples looked very good but we weren't totally blown away - so we'll keep working at it until more mainstream finishes like rosenut and cherry look just as sexy.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
???

I didn't think I was asking Ed to comment on a rumor. SVS showed the walnut finish and I was asking if they had other finishes they were willing to show as well.

Or am I misreading your comment?
I am pretty certain Dale was speaking in jest. :bigsmile:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts