Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
See the post I just made quoting tony about mix n match. I suggested ultra surrounds here because of the large space. I feel for a balanced front to back presentation better surrounds would help that since the output of the towers in front, even primes, would benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure about final output of the ultra to the prime but when comparing the two producs on paper they are very similar w/ similar power capacity, driver size, enclosure size etc. I read somewhere that the cones were identical as the voicing but the surrounds where different and something else.

I'd bet my ultra system that the prime setup would be able to play within the same parameters as the ultras. Maybe a 1 or 2db lower output but doubt the output would suffer.

Not really sure the difference to be honest, I'm not some speaker guru. I just feel on his budget the prime setup is the way to go.... and use that extra money to get bigger subwoofer. HT = demanding subwoofer = more real feeling.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Talley, I think we're more in agreement than out. Especially after seeing his new pics. I would maybe ust do a prime tower/sat setup with no ultra at all. It looks pretty closed off so it will likely work out fine that way. Now subs...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Tim, are you planning on doing any two channel music listening in that room?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Love the wooden floors. I want to change my carpet out to wood.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
No just movies pretty much
I would take a little bit of money out of the budget and put in a french door in that opening. Wouldn't be too hard, about $200 in materials plus the labor to install. This would help close the room off during movies and allow the subwoofer to fill the room better.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I would take a little bit of money out of the budget and put in a french door in that opening. Wouldn't be too hard, about $200 in materials plus the labor to install. This would help close the room off during movies and allow the subwoofer to fill the room better.

Good call.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Then I agree, go with the Prime speakers and throw more money at a sub. In the end the impact will be greater if you spend more on a sub than on the mains.
The Ultras have a much nicer look to them and the imaging would also be better just due to the design. but imaging with movies is less a factor because of the added channels in the room.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I would do the doors but I rent lol. I'm buying a house this summer and going to make a dedicated theater that's one reason I wanted to go with the ultras and the buy a bigger sub when I move into a house.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah a few times lol I just want to get the best that I can get. The svs scs I had sound good but I wanted better.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I would do the doors but I rent lol. I'm buying a house this summer and going to make a dedicated theater that's one reason I wanted to go with the ultras and the buy a bigger sub when I move into a house.
Rent or not... I'd design a setup that would clamp around that space and allow a door to close. No need to pressurize the entire home.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Good question. If you got a plus, would you add another one down the road? The dual option will give better response over more seats, and the LP too, but the plus is a beast so... I'd ask Ed! I think most will say to get 2 PC/PB200's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok I'm giving svs a call this week and I'm going to let them help me with some choices. Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I think that's a great idea. The more information you have, the better. Plus, who knows SVS like SVS? I suspect you'll end up with a prime system, with a pair of 2000 series subs. Haven't done the math etc, but I know you get multiple sub discounts, and who knows, they might have some B-stock or blems to help the budget. Fwiw, I think if you go that route, and take the time to set it up, you will have a real nice setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So you guys think I'll be happy with the prime towers? Also how do these stack up against the new klipsch premier?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The klipsch premier will be easier to drive and may have "slightly" better highs however with the Prime towers having a dedicated mid range driver it will have a better (smoother) frequency response across the mids.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts