Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Next up is the midrange cup. I had to dremel out the inside lip of a 3" PVC endcap...but otherwise they work very well. They are hot glued to the horn. Be patient...it takes a while for the glue to cool enough to hold them on. Once completely cool...it's actually hard to get them off. They can be removed by slow careful cutting with a utility knife...for driver replacement.

Note that the wires come through the end of the end cap and all surfaces are sealed.

Also note that the compression driver is held in place by the compression action of a board with two strips of foam. Holds in in place easily...and well. Probably not suitable for something that's needed for touring...but for carrying up my stairs...just fine.

The outside finish is Duratex....love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Last...for now is the crossover.

I have two version...A and B....A uses 9mH in series with the woofer and 40 Ohms in parallel with the mid. B uses 8 mH in series with the woofer and 13 Ohms in parallel with the mid. The difference is a bit more midbass and less midrange. I found the A version a bit too analytic ...but I left it as the center channel for the home theater. Made voices absolutely intelligible in HT usage...even if the rest of the track is busy and rubbish.

The comparison plot shows A vs. B....A has a bit more output in the midrange and less in the bass.

I think I've explained before that SoundEasy should be called Sound "Really kind of difficult, but with a enough work will get the job done, though you'll practice cursing a lot" I don't buy the measurements below about 200 Hz for the woofer...so I'm running a bit blind. I'll re-take and see what's actually happening and refine the crossovers as needed. These aren't the last crossovers....for sure. Plenty of optimization for measured time domain and frequency domain performance

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just read through this thread, absolutely stunning build, very nice, I built some point source horns a few years ago for a friend, these were only two driver versions not three like these but the clarity is amazing, I bet they sound beautiful in you're home, I am looking for inspiration for some new tops for my pa system, I might have to dig out my plans.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just read through this thread, absolutely stunning build, very nice, I built some point source horns a few years ago for a friend, these were only two driver versions not three like these but the clarity is amazing, I bet they sound beautiful in you're home, I am looking for inspiration for some new tops for my pa system, I might have to dig out my plans.
Thank you! I'm a few years into owning them now...and to this day they make me a bit giddy with anticipation.

-Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've just spent the best part of this year devoping and building my new bass bins and want something different for the top end of the pa, I did think about synergy/unity horns, after looking at your three way cabs I am going to build one and see how it intergrates, Im going to enjoy this:)

kind regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've just spent the best part of this year devoping and building my new bass bins and want something different for the top end of the pa, I did think about synergy/unity horns, after looking at your three way cabs I am going to build one and see how it intergrates, Im going to enjoy this:)

kind regards

Do it.

Seriously...if you get it right...and be prepared for multiple prototypes... the sound is a mix of the best parts of headphones, horns, electrostatics, near-field mini-monitors and behemoth audiophile monsters.

-Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agreed, the small two way horns I built some years ago sounded truly amazing, they only had to go down to 300hz, even though my bass bins easily go up to 250/300 I would still want to get much lower for reinforcement purposes so a three way would be a must, Scott, have you any objections to me using your knowledge from this thread as a kick start? Haven't worked out how to post photos on here yet, when I do I'm happy to show where I am on the bass side of life.

kind regatds

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Glad I found this thread as I am getting ready to make one, and see if it is better than I currently have (I have heard a lot about the Synergy Horns, and fully expect it to be better)... I know it will def be easier to manage than what I currently have, as my bass bins cannot be moved, and if I move the horns I have to change the delays. I like 2 ways...so mine will use (2)15" woofers, and (1)EV DH1A driver per box. Hopefully i can get down to 40Hz or so to mate with the DTS-10 subs.

Any more tips on these bad boys?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Glad I found this thread as I am getting ready to make one, and see if it is better than I currently have (I have heard a lot about the Synergy Horns, and fully expect it to be better)... I know it will def be easier to manage than what I currently have, as my bass bins cannot be moved, and if I move the horns I have to change the delays. I like 2 ways...so mine will use (2)15" woofers, and (1)EV DH1A driver per box. Hopefully i can get down to 40Hz or so to mate with the DTS-10 subs.

Any more tips on these bad boys?
I don't have a lot of time for a lengthy reply on the workings of a Synergy Horn, but a two way "Synergy" design is not possible given the driver sizes you've listed. You would not be able to optimally tap into the flare rate at the correct points in a conical or quadratic horn expansion. If you did make a two way, there would be no way to get down to 40Hz for similar reasons. In addition the driver entrances (if optimally tapped into the horn) would not meet the 1/4 wavelength requirement between entrances at the crossover point for a time domain accurate speaker.

I suspect you could make an offset driver co-entrant horn with 2 15's and 1 compression driver, but it would not be a Synergy design, not even close...the physics prevent it.

I strongly suggest that you re-read the synergy patents and Tom's many posts on how the designs work, the high level information is out there, and available.

Sincerely,

Scott

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
P.S. 8"-1" two way is about as good as it's going to get...and you'll still have a lot of work ahead of you. Look into the Sound Physics Labs Runt speaker.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
I don't have a lot of time for a lengthy reply on the workings of a Synergy Horn, but a two way "Synergy" design is not possible given the driver sizes you've listed. You would not be able to optimally tap into the flare rate at the correct points in a conical or quadratic horn expansion. If you did make a two way, there would be no way to get down to 40Hz for similar reasons. In addition the driver entrances (if optimally tapped into the horn) would not meet the 1/4 wavelength requirement between entrances at the crossover point for a time domain accurate speaker.

I suspect you could make an offset driver co-entrant horn with 2 15's and 1 compression driver, but it would not be a Synergy design, not even close...the physics prevent it.

I strongly suggest that you re-read the synergy patents and Tom's many posts on how the designs work, the high level information is out there, and available.

Sincerely,

Scott
Thanks Scott, I have decided to stick with the 2 way and go the way Chris on the Klipsch Forums has done his...as he has proven it does work as a 2 way. Danley has 2 way versions too...SH95HO is a 2 way Synergy horn.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
A little resurrection here.... Are these still doing well for you? Is there anything you would change or have you made any updates?
I'm about to try these out but will probably use the Dayton Audio DSP for xover duties. Any suggestions about xover points, slopes, delays, etc.? What's the sensitivity for these and any idea on max output? I'll probably try these for P.A. use to see how they'll work...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts