Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble finding a complete list of t/s parameters for Digital Designs 3515 dvc subwoofer. Their web site gives only a limited amount of info. Can anyone give me info on this driver? Thanks!

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, this would be a new build for a H/t sub. I am completly new at this and really appreciate your help. thanks Mike!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am hoping to use a carver m1.5t home stereo amp that I have on hand. I'm uncertain as to how well suited this amp would be or exactly how to hook it up. The amp is rated at 300 w rms into 8 ohms and almost 600 into a 4 ohm load.( per channel) This amp tested very stable in pro reviews in the late 1980's. I have not used it in several years. would you suggest going to a modern plate amp? I would like to try the Carver if it can be done without too much trouble. Thanks for your advice, Mike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think so, I was thinking of 1 channel to each voice coil, not sure if that is the way to go, any advice will be of great help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The specs I could get from dd website showed 4 0hm. I will try to dig out the owners man. for the
carver amp tonight. Will report tomorrow, I must go for now. Thanks so much for your help so far!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not found the pricing either. Any ideas on an enclosure for this driver? I would like to get the response down into the 20s if possible.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Below is the SPL graph on a couple of options.

6 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz. A subsonic filter applied at 13 hz. An 8 inch port 50.5 inches long keeps the port air speed below 26 m/s.

7.5 cu.ft tuned to 18 hz. A subsonic filter applied at 13 hz. An 8 inch port 49.5 inches long keeps the port air speed below 26 m/s.

You gain 3 db at 16 hz with the bigger box. Both models are with 1200 watts applied. The 8 inch round port can be substituted with a slot port 3 inches high by 17 inches wide and the same lengths a listed above.

You should find out the price of this sub. If it's in the $400 to $500 range, there are cheaper subs for HT use. Going by the listed specs, this sub does model well with 115 db at 20 hz, plus room gain.

3515e.JPG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks , mike. I am having trouble with winisd modeling. as I said I am totally new at this, hope my skills improve! What about a 5cu. ft box?Can I get into the 20hz range, 7 cu.ft. is a little large for the space I have to put the sub. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
5 cu.ft. would work. You're only giving up a couple of db at 20 hz. The port would need to be 7 inches diameter by 46.5 inches long. Or a slot port 3 inches high by 13 inches wide the same length. Remember that the 5 cu.ft is net, you have to add the displacement of the sub, bracing and the port. It'll probably work out closer to 6 cu.ft. internal volume after you add everything up.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Is it possible to get the same results with 2 smaller and shorter ports? Thanks for your help!
Not with input power of 1200 watts. Anything smaller would produce port compression and port noise. If you went with a 6 inch diameter port ( or 3 inch by 9.5 inch rectangular ) 33.5 inches long you would be limited to 700 watts input. Above that, compression and port noise would be an issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was hoping to use 2 or 3 smaller ports iinstead of 1 large one. I see this being done with commercial as well as diy projects. Do you calculate the area and divide for multiple ports? how does that work?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts