Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing an Android tablet, either a Samsung Note 10.1 or an ASUS Transformer, and I wanted to use it for a remote for at least two of my three home entertainment systems.

There seems to be a few approaches to acheiving what I want;

1) Use an IR attached or builtin to the tablet.
2) Bluetooth to IR.
3) WiFi to IR.

What experience do folks here have with any of these technologies?

I am looking to control Emotiva processor, Yamaha receiver, Sony BluRay, Comcast cable boxes...

I am not (nor will I ever for non rational reasons) considering any apple products. I am looking for information on specific products that are still available, that have a great Android App. It would be a plus for option 3 if there was also a windows app as well.

If there are other threads about this please send links...

Paul

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Can't speak for IR, but I tried the Viera remote app for my Panasonic BluRay player. It worked, but was hard to use and there was a lag, since the signal had to go wireless, through the router, and back to the player.

They are pretty close to having a good solution, just not there yet. This was an app provided directly from Panasonic, not 3rd party.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at the touch squid, but it requires a tablet that does IR such as the Samsung. I was actually leaning towards the ASUS, which means I would need a Bluetooth or WIFI to IR converter of some sort.

Any early adopters out there that have experience with the bits & pieces needed to set this up?

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
TouchSquid is fairly new, it looks interesting. At $299 which includes the tablet the price is right.

http://www.touchsquid.com/Remote.htm
Looks nice! I have been using my Fujitsu 10" tablet for a while as a remote and hope to eventually get a app to run CQC software on it. Then I can control all my serial devices with my phone instead of having to use the tablet. The tablet is nice but the portability of my 5" screen phone is the best imo.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Mechman, any luck?

Paul
No... well I guess I sort of had luck. I have DirecTV and I have been using one of those DirecTV remote apps a little bit with my DirecTV equipment. I'd like to find something relatively inexpensive such as this for my tablet. I used it a little with my old iPhone for awhile but I thought the iphone's screen was too small for my tastes. And I wasn't going to overspend on a tablet to get an iPad when I could get a better android product at a much lower price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive got the Touchsquid Pro app on a Samsung Tab 7.0 Plus and it kills anything Harmony. It also can work lights as I know there are quite a few in their database. It can control just about anything IR and if it is not in their database they will get the codes and load them, usually in a day or two. Fantastic company, if only Logitech took care of their customers this well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mr_Hynee, thanks for the response. I was thinking of going that route, as I hope to never buy an Apple product, unless and until they become an open platform technology company.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting thread,
certainly more options in this category (internet access and universal remote) coming down the road.
Am I correct in assuming that this device will not "learn" IR code directly on to a button within a device?
If so this would be a serious problem for professional installers who cannot wait for a day or two and return to an install to test/use ir code on an obscure piece of equipment.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am buying my first iPad this weekend. Looking forward to it.
I intend to use IT as a remote and I am going to use ROOMIE. The Apps and the hardware will run me between $100.00-$130.00.
I have read alot about Roomie and it seems to be pretty dependable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.