Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Can Some one tell me how to access this website : http://www.tacpservice.toshiba.com/?
Does anyone have the userID and password they can share with me. I've read alot of post on different forums and a number of people have referred posters to go here. Can anyone help? Thanks!!
This site is for authorized servicers only. Anyone sharing their access codes publicly would likely have their account cancelled.
There are a number of sites where you can get service manuals that you would find there, some for a fee and some free.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. However, I will say that if you pay big money to purchase a product from a
manufacturer you should have access to all service information pertaining to that product.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I agree, but I know of virtually no vendors that release such information to the public. Many companies do not even have service manuals or other technical documentation. A few will provide access outside of their service network if you go to their training or if you are an established service business. Those are Hitachi, Toshiba, and to some extent Sharp, Samsung, and LG.

So what is it that you are trying to find?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Iciallo, As I mentioned, I'm having problems with my tv (I posted it here). In scouring the internet
over the last 10 months, I've seen numerous post where people have referenced documents for toshiba rptv's to that website.
When you go there it ask for a user id and password. Now are all these people (I've noted at least a couple dozen of these) authorized toshiba service people? Must be huh. I have the service manual for my set (57hdx82). However, if this site has service tips, service bulletins and training, I would and should have access to this info. I might read of or discover something that will help me fix my set.They can make their disclaimers for safety and the chance that a person can screw up their set worse if they don't know what they are doing. Fine.So be it.That should be up to me and not them, if I want to risk it. Maybe they do this and make it a big mystery so people will buy new. I don't know. We all know about poor soldering practices, poor design and using inferior parts. They put out service bulletins when these problems are discovered and they get enough complaints about it. A lot of times, this happens just outside of the warrenty period. After this happens, they don't make this info available to the public. This isn't right.
I don't want to take away work from anybody. If I had the money I would of called someone in to get a quote. If it was to high, I would push this set to the curb and get something else. Being you asked, I thought I would get this off my chest. Thanks for replying

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Like I said, I agree with you. Your rant is preaching to the choir. I take plenty of flak from techs who think DIYers are stealing food from their table. I have also publicly stated many times that vendors should make technical inforamtion available publicly. Regardless, Toshiba and others make the rules to get access. Violate them and you get cut off. I won't do it, nor will any other servicer who has made the investment to become authorized or to get the training. I have provided links to many of the resources for getting the same info, however, as it is mostly available through other sources, as you have found.

You would be dissapointed if you got into the site, as it has nothing to tell you how to deal with the problem that you are currently experiencing. This site, like others, has limited information that does not go much farther than what you have found already. Trust me, I know. There is little magic in having access to most vendor's service sites, especially Toshiba's.

Also, as I said before, if you have different problems after attempting a repair, it is most likely that something done in the repair process is the reason. There are many possibilities and it is very unlikely that you would find much help on a vendor's service site to help you deal with that kind of problem. You already know about the hyper module problems. Most of that kind of info gets out anyway because lots of people have the problem. You already have the service manual. There just is not much more than that available in most cases. Training is usually very general with respect to how the systems work and troubleshooting procedures.

My guess is that the repair of the board was not done properly, you cracked a solder joint in handling the board, or that there is still something that you are missing. Regardless, with access to the site or not, it would take some troubleshooting skills and probably a scope to track it down. You never mentioned who did the repair of the board.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again. Thanks for the insight. I did the first repair on the hyper and botched it. I then sent in to the guy on ebay to repair. Make no mistake, I feel this was my fault. I did something to the set that screwed it up worse. At least I know I'm not missing anything on that site now:)

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Who did you use on ebay? Did they have the ability to test the board? Is the symptom different from before the board was sent off? What did you do to botch the repair?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Icaillo, Here is what happened. (kinda long). About 6-7 months ago, when I first turned on my set, the picture would be all wavey with jagged lines. After about 10 mintues, the picture would return to normal. However, I noticed that letters on the screen had a jaggedness about them. This was on standard definition. High definition was fine. So I started combing the net for answers. I came across this thread with a bunch of people with the same problem.
http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/15237/Toshiba--Model4283--picture-is-zig-zag./?page=1
I been following this thread for six months. Most everyone indicated this was a problem with capacitors on the hyperboard. Change some small smd caps on the board. Alot of people done this and reported that this took care of the problem. I decided to attempt the repair. I followed the instructions from a guy who did it on this site:
http://www.dshosu.com/how-to-fix-toshiba-rear-projection-hdtv-wavy-lines/
Before I began, I vacumed out the back of the set. As I didn't want to disturb anymore of the wiring on the board than I had to, I tipped the set over on its face (laid blankets down), removed chicken wire on bottom and unsoldered board from there. Some people have said I shouldn't have tipped set over, but I've read of three people who did it this way and didn't have a problem. Who knows. I bought some caps and opened up the hyperboard.(Its in a metal can). This is where I made my mistake. When I seen how small those caps were I should of stopped right there and sent it out to repair. There is a guy on ebay named ken (search hyperboard) who replaces the caps for $75. Being the dumb I am, I didn't want to wait a couple of weeks without my tv so I prodded on. I ripped up 4 traces unsoldering those smd's. I connected the traces back to where I thought they went with small wires. Wasn't comfortable with the whole repair. I put the board back in the set and tried it. Nothing. I think the first time I powered it up the red light blinked a few times, but everytime after that it would just stay on steady and then go off in about 15 mintues. I then took the hyper out and contacted ken on ebay about fixing my botched repair job. It cost me $180 at this point. He said I had a couple of wires going to the wrong places. He replaced all the caps and I got the board back in under two weeks. He doesn't test the boards in a set after repair, he says he does continuity test on everything or something. Most people I read about swears by this guy. When I got the board back I soldered it back in and tried it. Nothing, same condition as it was before.
This set has two main board, power & signal . hyper is on signal. I took the signal baord out the second time and reinstalled the hyper I got back from ken on my workbench. Should of done this the first time. No blown fuses anywhere. I got high voltage. Nothing comes on the screen. I have a gentleman on another board helping me along with this right now. Its time to break out the scope.
I borrow'd one. Hopefully he can walk me through on how to use it. That is where I stand now.
Hope i explained this right. Thanks for your interest:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts