Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Taking First Measurements! REW newb - Clipping question

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnM 
#1 ·
Hey All,

First off, this software is amazing.

I'm trying to setup my Epik Empire sub using a RS Digital meter through a UCA202 USB soundcard.

I've taken a few measurements, but I keep getting the clipping message when I do my sweep measurements. The headroom reading starts out green but hits the red "0.0" during the sweep. I would think it would cause some kind of strange reading in my FR, but it doesn't seem to. I'm setting the SPL Soundmeter calibration at 75db from the RS meter, and that's also what the REW SPL meter itself shows. What do I need to do to fix this, and is it really an issue?? Do I lower the volume on my AVR? IF so, how would that work in the REW SPL Calibration??

I need it in baby step instructions! lol ...

I've learned SO much through this process already. It's kinda like thinking you understand physics 'cause you know what an atom is.

Thanks!

#3 ·
You can either lower the AVR volume or move the meter up to the next scale step, e.g. the 80dB range if you were on 70dB. If you do change the meter range you need to repeat the SPL meter calibration step so that REW shows the traces at the correct level.

The method of measurement REW uses (log swept sine) is quite resistant to distortion, whether in the system or caused by clipping as in this case, but the clipping does degrade the measurements and needs to be avoided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.