Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking readings with REW..where is the best place to install the mic.. ? I usually set it on a tripod in front of my IB subs...right about the middle about 10 inches from them. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I usually set it on a tripod in front of my IB subs...right about the middle about 10 inches from them.
This is great for telling you what the FR of your drivers is, but does not tell you what you hear in your listening position. Unless that's where you sit.

To know what your IB (or your mains, or the combination) is doing as you hear it, the mic should be approximately where your head is when you are listening.

You can get excited and put the microphone in each listening position if you have multiple seats and work toward optimizing them collectively, but generally putting it in the "prime" listening position is enough for most folks. The "cheap seats" will just have less-than-optimal response in that case.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Even if I disconnect the main and center speakers... ?
What difference would that make? Please explain...

As tenzip explains, the only place you're interested in the response is where you sit..

bruce

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What difference would that make? Please explain...

As tenzip explains, the only place you're interested in the response is where you sit..

bruce

I think I got mixed up between the FR and what your ears hear at sitting/listening position.

Thanks guys!

Time to re do my tests..:unbelievable:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts