Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Ill admit to knowing jack about designing subs (or just about anything audio related), so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Basically I'd like to target around 120L internal volume, but would like a small footprint. Im not to worried about the height of the sub.

With regards to performance, would the shape of the sub make a big difference? If so what is the ideal, and what shape / dimensions are to be avoided.

I have no idea what the minimum depth could be (front to back) or width, but I guess that is dictated by the size of the driver and how much clearance it needs for optimal operation. Any pointers on this bit?

Id be using 32mm ply.

Working backwards from the target volume I came up with some measurements.

External : (Depth: front to back) 450mm x (Width) 530mm x (Height) 814mm
Internal : (Depth: front to back) 386mm x (Width) 466mm x (Height) 750mm

Comes to about 135L internal volume, which should be ample to allow for sturdy bracing and the driver itself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alternatively we could just do a CUBE with an external measurement of 580mm cube and internal of 516mm cube?

The idea for skinny tall enclosure was to have it fit behind the speakers.

If I went a cube it would have to be beside the speakers.

The wife preferred the idea of the sub being behind the speakers.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OR....

Could do two 120L sealed Tempest-X2's.

So many choices...

What do people think?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I believe 2 tempest's will outperform a lone mal-x, and many have touted the benefits (and satisfaction) of dual subs. You could drive the pair with a proamp, fit where you want them, and help satisfy waf all in one.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I believe 2 tempest's will outperform a lone mal-x, and many have touted the benefits (and satisfaction) of dual subs. You could drive the pair with a proamp, fit where you want them, and help satisfy waf all in one.
You can go either way and the output is fairly close. The two Tempest have the advantage in output, more swept volume but the difference is not huge. If you build two subs using the Tempest, and locate them in two different spots in the room, you will get less output than a single Maelstrom simply because you get cancellations between the two devices in-room. You also on average, get smoother in-room response but you throw away a lot of output in the process.

Either solution works, just pick the one that will fit your room better. If you have size constraints, look at how big of a box you can build and select the device that best fits within that format.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Yeah, what Kevin said:bigsmile: I think he told me the same thing; and I went with the lone Mal-x (but in a LLT sonotube). A single Mal-X was cheaper and I really only had one spot to locate a large sub. Sounds like you'll have to mull it over and make a decision...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

Think I have come up with a good set of dimensions for a Maelstrom-X build.

External (H x W x D) = 650mm x 540mm x 540mm

Internal (H x W x D) = 586mm x 476mm x 476mm
= 133L

Won't look as tall / skinny, while still maximising placement options.

Im pretty keen on the Maelstrom, and hopefully ill be able to make it a pair, if not right away then at a later date.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might find building both boxes now would be easier, just my thought. Glad you have a plan, there are lots of projects on hts for ideas on bracing, finishing. I think Kevin had plans on his site as well.
Well your right.... I ended up making my order tonight, for two Maelstrom-X's. Getting SGR to do the build for me :) Final dimensions are the same as the latest ones I posted above.

I have also purchased a Quest 3004 to power the beasties

Thanks for all the input guys, you have been helpful.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can someone confirm the calc's below for internal volume please.

Thanks guys.

Think I have come up with a good set of dimensions for a Maelstrom-X build.

External (H x W x D) = 650mm x 540mm x 540mm

Internal (H x W x D) = 586mm x 476mm x 476mm
= 133L

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeap, cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts