Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Ah, I was thinking broadband, never thought about tuned...
That's an area where if it was me, I'd like to see the graph before comitting to a tuned treatment (might need more at a different tune...)

Doesn't matter. Displacement is displacement. Foot forward, foot back. It get's you out of the middle. Most importantly I'd set up a mic with rew and measure both places to see direction and seating position. Since you have two rows you'll have to live with some compromise. It's hard enough trying to get one single seat perfect in the middle, but doing two rows will be difficult to impossible.

My best advise it to take measurements and document each step and position so you're not chasing your tail.

Doesn't matter. Displacement is displacement. Foot forward, foot back. It get's you out of the middle.
Depends: middle of what? He's already a little back from dead center on the room, which should be the predominant mode, so moving a little further back would get him further out. If he's in the middle of another mode, though, that's not centered on the room, then yes.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Great feedback guys. I have considered and failed at most of the viable solutions you have offered. This problem is all due to the greedy over-use of a small room, trying to seat too many butts, unkowingly relegated to a thin lifeless place in the room. There is still hope, however...

There is merit to moving the front row forward, but then it puts the front row uncomfortable close to the front channels...I like it at near reference level, which is disturbing to many guest at "point-blank range." Moving back, well now my feet are on the back of their head. No problem for me, but you get the idea;) Moving the back row forward will help reduce the peaks for that row, but again, toes-in-back-of-head when reclined.

Corner/wall LF absorbers could lessen the problem peaks, but not raise the null considerably since the amp/sub is already pushing max in these testing phases to try and bring some life to that cursed front row. For now it is "seat of the pants" testing since the problem is so obvious. I will stop whining very soon!

I mounted Clark Silvers in the front row to help round out the "feel." That was a bit of an ordeal. First tried them mounted to the metal floor rails with pine. Do not make this mistake if you want any articulation. Second attempt was pine on the seat frame...no-go. The final and quite acceptable installation is with red oak 3/4" plank screwed to the seat-frame. Another notch in the budget. This provides great detail and immersion, especially when your head/neck is on the cusion of the headrest. I know that there are many that dislike this technology due to it's potential "gimmick factor," but if gain and xover is set correctly, it really adds a great missing dimension to the music and movies in the front row. I resist overloading the effect with excessive gain.

Now, moving to the back row and feeling/hearing what it SHOULD be brings me to the eBay auction for a Velo 8" Minivee to be placed beside the front row. This will hopefully allow me to turn down/EQ the main sub a bit to reduce boomyness along the back wall, and help fill the void in the front row. For the sake of clarity, picture the front-right chair having a sub between it and the wall (inches off the wall). I have not made the purchase yet...does this arrangement seem plausible? Should I just auction off the subs I have and go for a set if identical 10" velos? Ouch on the budget...but we are obsessed aren't we???

I am reserving the time and effort of REW for the moment until we get some LFE in the front row. Then we can EQ ...

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Greg, Jason,

I will be REW'ing the room before the end of the year, after getting close to some balance. These results will tell us where we would need to be with any additional absorbers if that route is chosen...

Looking forward, just how expensive are these RPG corner units? I was previously interested their "diffsorption" technology and it seems that they are fairly cutting edge.

There is merit to moving the front row forward, but then it puts the front row uncomfortable close to the front channels...I like it at near reference level, which is disturbing to many guest at "point-blank range." Moving back, well now my feet are on the back of their head. No problem for me, but you get the idea;) Moving the back row forward will help reduce the peaks for that row, but again, toes-in-back-of-head when reclined.

Corner/wall LF absorbers could lessen the problem peaks, but not raise the null considerably since the amp/sub is already pushing max in these testing phases to try and bring some life to that cursed front row. For now it is "seat of the pants" testing since the problem is so obvious. I will stop whining very soon!
Here's some more suggestions: pull the front row forward to where it sounds best for you. If it'suncomfortably close for guests, it becomes your seat. Then achieve the best possible compromise for the rear row... you can stagger the seating, so the back row feet aren't on your head but between you and the next seat...

when you do a scan, I'd love to see scans with the mic 6.5' and then 10.5' from the front wall...

Bass absorbers should help the dip you're talking about, as they'll absorb the reflections that are cancelling out the sound. So the sub won't work as hard to get the same SPL in the null areas, although you will lose SPL in the peak areas, but it'll be cleaner and flatter all around. Or at least that's how it works in the frequency ranges where we use broadband absorption.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.