Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Below is the waterfall of my first attempt of measuring my room. I used the mandatory 45-105. When I set the limits to 35-105 I see something around 32Hz as well.

I have only just found the cal file for the ecm8000, so I haven't used that yet, but aside from that, can my room be really THAT bad?

I'm about to superchunk the front corners and build some panels for the first reflection points on the side, but seeing the graph for the room untreated did surprise me.

The room is 4.6x4.7 meters and about 3.3 meters high.

Thanks for looking :T

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,279 Posts

Hi HD,

A viable waterfall needs to have the signal averaging at least 50 dB or so above the room’s noise floor. Also, waterfall graphs are primarily used to show low frequency signal decay, so they aren’t useful above 300 Hz or so. A waterfall might show the difference in signal decay times you might get by adding low frequency treatments to your room (e.g. comparing before and after). Aside from that, the basic frequency response graph is what you should be most concerned about.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your response Wayne.

Of course you're right, the waterfalls are used primarily to check and treat LF modes, but in this case it wasn't much difference between the FR graph and the waterfall. This huge null (as in literally null) in the 50 Hz region really is discomforting.

I have 3way speakers that I needed to set up sideways due to space limitations. I will toe them in even more towards the listening position and measure again.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, I've been taking more measurements, all with the same falloff from 200Hz to 900Hz. Even very close to the speakers, same result. Next day I wanted to measure some more, but all I get is 'level too low'. I didn't change anything, I deleted the prefs, nothing. I borrowed another mic from a friend, still level too low.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on? I tried with the default setting for input and with choosing my interface (Fireface 800). Same difference.

I calibrated the SPL meter again btw, and the mic is definitely getting signal. The mixer in Totalmix from the Fireface is showing enough level, too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Unfortunately Apple's Java runtime has a bug that prevents Java applications accessing the inputs of firewire-connected soundcards. They show no signs of planning to fix it, a fix may come when Oracle start providing a Java runtime for OS X.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, many thanks for the quick answer. But why did it work last week then? I didn't change anything, I use default output and not 'Java Sound Audio Engine'. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Firewire output works ok, it is input that has a problem. There may be circumstances in which input does work, but generally it seems to be broken.

·
Registered
151 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts