Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted to build a Tapped Horn sub to see what there all about. The angles and horn folding looks pretty confusing and aside from a few minutes messing with Hornresp I never put the time to figure these things out.

Well, looks like I don't have to learn hornresp as I just bought a sweet flat pack that CNC'ed, dadoed and has a lettered system to make sure I don't mess up. Once I saw this was available I ordered a pair to see what a small TH would do.

I mated these to the
Tang Band W6-1139SI 6-1/2" Subwoofer I got from Parts Express but I hear they work with the Exodus Anarchy's as well.

Here's how well the flat pack came packed up:

I was really impressed at the dado's and the ease of assembly, I only have the main dadoed parts shown here:

I then just went ahead and dry fit the entire enclosure to make sure everything went together fine, it was perfect:

I first assembled the bottom and used Titebond II. I put the top panel on to make sure the inner fold were in place while the glue dried so the panels were aligned for the final glue up. I didn't get pics of this but it was basically all the panels in place but no glue on the top an outer panels so it could be removed to add the driver and connections.

These next set of pics show the glued up inner folds with the driver mounted before adding the final panels. You can see where I screwed in the panels and there are already pilot holes, I just drilled through those for the pilot hole in the adjoining panel:

I decided to use PL Premium for the final glue up to make sure all the gaps were filled as I was told this was critical to get the best performance. After scraping off PL from all my tools and what not I wish I would have just used Titebond and been extra careful to get a good seal, that PL is some nasty stuff. I went overboard with the clamps but it was cold so the PL was dense and needed extra clamping pressure to squeeze out.

After scraping off all the extra PL the next day after drying I sanded it down to reveal a beauty:bigsmile: I have to admit that this is some really nice void free 1/2" Baltic Birch:T

I went ahead and fired it up last night and now I know what the hype is all about with these TH subs. For a 6 1/2" driver it is not going to replace my dual 10" ported but I think once I get the second one built it will come close if not match it which is insane for such a small driver. I am thinking of making the 15" version using the MFW 15" driver but they don't have a flat pack kit for that, I wish. I actually picked up 4 of the tag bands but only ordered 2 flat pack kits. After hearing the first one I am going to order 2 more as there a crazy value.

I did put a 25hz HPF with my SMS-1 then cut the 30hz peak an added a boost at about 47hz:

It didn't like the 6db boost at 47hz, would go into distress with music near reference so I backed off the boost and got this:

Still a good response and I can crank it now for a nice mid-bass kick.

Now if I could only get all my DIY builds as flat packs I could sell my table saw:ponder:

I can't express how easy this was to put together, the only complaint was using PL premium but that was just my fault for hating that stuff so much. I am going to use Titebond for the next build as the dadoes should provide a great seal as long as I use enough glue.

I am thinking of rounding off the edges and just stain and poly the enclosure as is, the wood looks too nice to paint.

I know the guy I got the flat pack from is also a member here so I will ask him to chime in. Hopefully I can get him to be more involved at the Home Theater Shack as he is a really cool guy and killer DIY'er. I am hoping he makes even more flat packs as well since it sure would save me a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The cabinet looks great. I'm glad you're going to stain and varnish it, rather than hide all that beauty behind paint. It's good to know that it went together so easily.

That's some impressive performance from a little 6.5" driver. Looks like you're getting 80 dB out of it. The SMS-1 looks pretty cool, too.

I know that perfecting the finish on a project takes a while, but I'm looking forward to seeing these stained and varnished. I know they will look great.

Great build thread.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Lilmike on the avsforum has one off these he has designed called the F-20 with a MFW driver. The sketchup and cutsheet file is on there but no flat pack. It has a tuning off around 20hz and will output 115db at 20hz with only 300 watts. I know Eric on there is working on flatpack's for horns etc... so don't be surprised if you see one off these very soon.

This also works with the tempest x2 driver and will let you chuck 1000 watts at it.

cheers

Graham

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I built two of these with DIYCable Anarchy drivers... The cabinet is a thing of beauty, too bad I've not had much of a chance to listened to them!

Nice to see the FR so I know what to look forward to. I'm planning on staining mine too, I just need to do a quick sanding..

NIce to see a post with build pics. :)

I hate PL glue with a passion (ever get it on your hands and a week later it's still there?) - but I worry about wood glue not sealing as effectively.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I am getting a lot more than 80db out of it, that was just the calibration tone from the SMS-1.

I did get these from Erich H from the AVS, I have seen him post here before so hopefully he chimes in. I did see the F-20 designed by lilmike, the designer of this kit as well, looks really nice. I hope more flat packs come out soon as it really beats making them my-self.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I built two of these with DIYCable Anarchy drivers... The cabinet is a thing of beauty, too bad I've not had much of a chance to listened to them!

Nice to see the FR so I know what to look forward to. I'm planning on staining mine too, I just need to do a quick sanding..

NIce to see a post with build pics. :)

I hate PL glue with a passion (ever get it on your hands and a week later it's still there?) - but I worry about wood glue not sealing as effectively.
I'm glad I am not the only hater of PL on here, nasty stuff and my hands are still stained too. I think with the dadoes and enough Titebond this thing will seal more than good enough so no more PL for me.

The frequency response is with the sub almost right in the middle of my 15 X 40 foot room, the only boundary compensation is from the floor. It would do even better corner loaded but I don't have a free corner unless I put them on top of the chimney:dontknow:

How great are these kits to put together?
I think I spent a total of about an hour to put it together, most of that was just going overboard with the clamps to squeeze out the PL.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Once you get to the bigger horn projects, PL Premium is worth its weight in gold IMO. Especially if you're putting together panels you didn't cut very well that leave gaps. Ask me how I know ;)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once you get to the bigger horn projects, PL Premium is worth its weight in gold IMO. Especially if you're putting together panels you didn't cut very well that leave gaps. Ask me how I know ;)
That makes a lot more sense to use PL instead of using it with a kit like this that's so precisely cut and dadoed.
I would probably use PL for a big horn project but I am still a little bitter because I still have PL to scrap off my clamps.

I am thinking on the next kit I will put together I will just use PL on the inside folds and titebond on the outside so I don't get PL all over the place.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not a bad idea - the inside folds are where you really don't want any leaks because you can't then fix them without cutting access holes. You can get at the outside joints to fix them.

PL ruined a perfectly good shirt of mine while I was building my 700L Tang Band 16Hz horn. I was not pleased about that. Had gloves and mineral spirits, but ended up getting it all over my hands anyway. The stuff really is nasty to work with at times.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
700L 16hz horn:yikes:

I had good luck using Zep Citrus cleaner and degreaser I got from the Home Depot to remove PL, forgot I ran out of mineral spirits until I needed it:doh:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am getting a lot more than 80db out of it, that was just the calibration tone from the SMS-1.
Haha! Of course! I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that a 6.5" driver can kick out some serious bass!

Great tip on the Zep Citrus cleaner and degreaser to get the PL Premium off your hands.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still have PL on my hands after a coupe of days, looks like I got a sunburn and now my tan is peeling off. Imagine if you got some on your face and didn't realize it until it was to late:yikes:

That Zep cleaner is really handy though, cleans most things really well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, I'm a little late to the thread.

Sub Crazy, I'm glad the flat pack arrived in good shape. Looks like some slight shifting of panels on the top, but I guess everything went okay. Looks like the packing protection did it's job.

You're right, they do go together very easy. Everyone that got one said the same thing. I'm still surprised the CNC company cut it for that price.

Just in case anyone wasn't sure how all of this came about, I'll sum it up quickly. There was a small horn designed by a fellow DIY member that's an expert at these things. This particular one was designed last year and some other guys were hoping it would get made into a flat pack.

I run a small landscape business, so there's extra room at my shop for getting deliveries of pallets, etc. and figured maybe I could give it a try. I asked the designer if it was okay to get prices from a CNC company to do the work. There were 3 bids. $150, $186, and then........$70. :T :bigsmile: I had the cheaper company cut me a test box and it looked great. They even lettered the panels and dilled pilot holes where needed! It was a no brainer at that point. So there were 100 ordered. I worked with how to package them, and figured the shipping box would be $2. So only $72 each for this group buy. Can't beat that at all.

After the people on the original group buy got there's, I didn't mention these too much because I was boxing up some of the other group buy things I was helping with.

There's still about 10 or 12 left, I can't recall. If anyone on this site wants one, just let me know.

Here are some more photos showing how I got them and a close up of the main panel. Pretty fun experience.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both kits came in perfect shape, you did a killer job packing these up:T

I want to build the second but I am still scraping PL off my hands! I actually have it on my bench to put together but I think I am going to just use TB II instead of PL. How about gorilla glue for the inside panels?

So Scaper, what's the next flat pack sub for a sicko like me:bigsmile:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey, that looks familiar....

Please, use the PL. Though it is nasty stuff, I recommend it for a reason. It works.

Titebond, while an excellent glue, does not fill gaps, PL does. Air leaks will kill the response. Standard polyurethane glue foams up and fills gaps, but is not really strong enough when there is a gap.

Mineral spirits is nasty stuff, but does a good job removing PL while it is wet.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Mike!

Thanks for chiming in, I really need to clear out my in-box so I see when replies are made on a more timely basis:duh:

OK, ok, I will use PL for the next one but I will use a full haz-mat suit. With my luck I will probably glue the zipper stuck and have to cut my way out of the suit.

To be honest, I would have built the second one already but PL is my new nemesis so I have to get over my phobia, I am so ashamed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sub_Crazy, you must go nuts with that PL adhesive!!! Hopefully you overcome your fears......and build the 2nd one.

I had to use dozens of cans of that spray foam 'Stuff' when I was refinishing the siding on my old house. It's the same way, no matter how careful you try to be, it gets stuck to something it shouldn't.

As for the next flat pack, I considered getting prices for Littlemike's new 15" design. But he thought it was a bit too big to consider. Plus, it's fairly easy to build with the internal layout. I know that everyone that built it has been very impressed. I do plan on building a couple when things slow down for me.

There's a standard subwoofer flat pack in the works, but I'm still waiting on the CNC company to get final pricing. The company is nice and cheap, but they take a while.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More nice and cheap flat packs! I feel my PL phobia breaking already:D

Your not kidding about PL and stuff getting everywhere, I kept finding it in spots that I didn't think I came close to. It was my second time using PL so with practice I am sure the next one won't be as bad. I do have the second set-up, ready to glue together but I only have TB II, the PL mysteriously got thrown out:huh: I am actually going to pass by Rockler sometime this week so I will see if they have any there.

I have to check out Littlemike's new 15" design, I bet it's insane. A kit would be great but I can understand how shipping can kill flat packs that are too big.

I still really am impressed with the quality, makes it hard to go back to my normal way of building subs.

I really appreciate you doing this for the DIY community Erich and thanks to Littlemike as well for the design work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts