Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Tascam US-144 MKII. I have successfully calibrated the sound card with the loopback connection. I have the following questions:

1) At REW's Sound Card Calibration page, I tired to lower the level with the "Control output mixer/volume box" in REW, but it is grey out! How can I turn this option on?

2) I have a problem trying to measure the output with my Nuforce AVP-18 preamp which only accepts digital input such as for Coaxial or Optical. After I connected a coaxial cable from Tascam US-144's digital-out to AVP-18's digital-in then pressed check levels button, my AV system did not produce any tone. I have checked all connections and setting in AVP-18, and they are correct. Is there any switch in Tascam US-144 I need to turn on in order to use its digital in/out? Can I actually use Tascam US-144's digital out for this type of connection? Has anyone tried this configuration successfully for REW measurement? Please advise!

Many thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
1) You don't need ( software based ) control of the output volume ( ie; from within REW ) since the 144 has a hardware based solution for you to use ( called , the "Line Out" knob on the card itself ) .

2) Your 4-chnl soundcard ( by default ) has the Coax ( SPDIF ) connector, outputting channels 3 & 4 // meaning that you'll need to "re-configure" the SPDIF to instead output chnls 1 & 2 ( this is accomplished from within the Tascam sound control panel ) .

I'd suggest a thorough read of the Operators Manual since it will tell you how to make the necessary changes ( as well as "what does what" ) .

:sn:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! I have indeed tried this before that set the digital out as Ch 1 and Ch2. Unfortunately, I didn't work.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where does one acquire Tascam's ASIO drivers?
They weren't in the software drivers included with the US-144 MKII....:dontknow:

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
The ASIO drivers get installed as part of the Windows driver package. I've found the US-144MkII pretty temperamental though, it was fine on XP but doesn't seem to like Win 7 or Win 8 very much, does odd things on input levels from time to time and I find I have to quit and restart the driver (by restarting REW) after changing sample rates when using ASIO or it doesn't work at all. Might just be my unit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
John:

I am noting the same flakiness on the US-144 MkII on my Win7 x64 setup.
No repsonse yet from TASCAM tech support...:gah:
Time for another sound card?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

I've just get Tascam 144mkii myself intended to use with REW / still not sure if that have been money good spend/ but have a chance and necessity to play with drivers, so please check if You have latest firmware as mine Tascam came with rather old firmware installed and that caused problems with latest win7 drivers.

Rosendorfer

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 2.03 firmware and the 2.05 device drivers installed. This product is so unreliable that I have reverted to using my motherboard's sound card.

:gulp:I fear the US-144 MkII is essentially useless for REW.:gulp:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not good is an understatement.

I am completely frustrated with the unreliable performance of the TASCAM US-144 Mk II in the Windows 7 x64 environment.

:hissyfit:The worst thing about this product is TASCAM's complete lack of technical support.:hissyfit:

:hissyfit:They simply fail to answer technical support queries.:hissyfit:

If you are thinking about purchasing a TASCAM US-144 Mk II, please don't do it.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have contacted Tascam and pointed out your experience. I will report whether we get any reponse.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I received the response below from Tascam. I suggest you try to contact them again for assistance and let us know the details, as well as whether you get a solution. I just used the contact form on their web site support page.

From Tascam:
Leonard,
Without more specific information regarding how he's using the product, it would be impossible to come up with a possible solution.

If this is a TASCAM product he purchased and is using in the U.S. or Canada, We would suggest he send a detailed email (to the same address you just did) and we would be happy to look into it.

Thank you for your interest in TASCAM products.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the help Leonard.

I have an outstanding support ticket with the TASCAM website and have yet to receive ANY reply.

PS what TASCAM e-mail address did you use?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Like I said above, I just used the form on their support page. I suggest you try again, referencing the previous ticket number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Any news on problems with Your Tascam US144MKii and SPIDF OUT..???
I'm playing with mine Tascam and it is not easy to get digital path working, so any info would be great.
Actually Is it possible to do SPIDF OUT to SPIDF IN loop-back measurement at that card ?? still can't do that.
Well and THD of my Tascam seems to be 0,07% instead advertised 0,005% there is crazy amount of distortion in that thing. My old EMU 202 just destroys (!) Tascam US144MKii in that regard...
Tascam have really nice build quality and fell but sound wise is just "farrr...." from anything decent at 2015.

Rosendorfer

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finally received a reply from TASCAM -- they said the unit must be broken. They suggested I return it to depot for repairs. This is the last TASCAM product for me...:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts